Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty level converting cpvc to pex?

We have a lake "manufactured home" (aka mobile home) that had a host of plumbing issues related to the cpvc water supply lines that run through it. Problems started before we bought it, when the owner turned on the water after it had been winterized and bust a bunch of lines. They have been repaired by a plumber, but there are still very questionable joints caked with layers of glue, and when I crawl under the thing I just shake my head.

Being a perfectionist, I'd like to get a feel what I'd be getting into if I wanted to convert the current piping to pex. I know nothing about running new pex aside from the small project I had where I teed into hot and cold cpvc lines to supply water to a washing machine. My gut says that each fixture would need pex coming up through the floor with a compression fitting to join existing piping. How about fastening the pex under the structure?

We'll probably end up selling the thing in 5-8 years, so I don't see this project adding any value besides peace of mind and reliability. If we build something, it will be small and use pex and a shutoff manifold!

Re: Difficulty level converting cpvc to pex?

Running pex is easy. In/under a trailer is not so easy. The lines are typically run next to the main heating trunk. You need to open the insulation barrier and re-insulate when finished. Attach the pipe using a nail in clip for wood, or a clamp on hanger for steel. Do not use compression fittings at each fixture. There are pex crimp shutoff valves already made that are much more durable and reliable. Replacing the piping will add only a little value to a mobile home. The homes themselves are 'throwaway' construction. Start and complete one system only - hot or cold - not both, so you dont get confused and hook up a cross-connection or forget a fixture.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      Running pex is easy. In/under a trailer is not so easy.
      The homes themselves are 'throwaway' construction.
      Yeah, we bought the property with this wreck on it, and I'll never buy another. It is a roof over our heads, and has most amenities to make brief stays somewhat comfortable, but the construction is very shoddy. Rather than be proactive, I'll probably continue to expect plumbing issues, and then address them when they arise.

Comment

You can buy sharbite fittings with sleeves to make repairs with PEX on CPVC systems. Under a trailer is one of the few places I would use them.

Comment

Working...
        X