Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for review of snake video

Greetings and happy Memorial Day,
    I am a homeowner with a question for this forum. We had some drainage issues from the kids bathroom in my house (~20 yrs old) and so we had the line snaked from the outside drain valve. It was determined at that time that there was some time of blockage and perhaps a break in the line (I was told that the snake was "coming back clean" indicating it was going into the surrounding dirt?)

We then had a camera inspection on the line from the cleanout and found a belly in the line (around 32 and then about 19-20' of sand and rock starting at 47'. The camera could not get past the sand and rock blockage in the line. Here is a link to the video, if anyone is willing to look at the problem, here is the link to the video:

The proposed solution we received was to cut the line at 66', jet out the sand and rock, and if no other obstructions are found, fix the pipe. They don't yet know if there are any other obstructions in the line.

I'd like to know if there are any opinions on 1) the proposed solution approach, and 2) an estimate of cost ranges I should expect. The work will be done in South Florida.
    Thank you.

Re: Request for review of snake video

Long video and all I could watch was the first 14 minutes 2 passes to 66'.

Where is 66' in relationship to the city connection or your responsibility?

At this point since there is no audio information, I see 22 year old pvc pipe with little sludge, debris. A good hydrojetting should get you up and running.

Is there more to the video I missed after the first 2 passes and 14 minutes?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Obstruction at 66'. Doesn't look like sand or rock to me.

No evidence of break, doesn't mean there isn't one just no evidence of it from vid.

Line is draining at least a little or the vid would just show water.

"Snake comes back clean"... the working end of a cable and a cutter will come back polished when they've been in rock or dirt. That may be what they mean by "clean". Should be noticeably shinier on cutter and first few inches of cable if working in sand/dirt/rock. Also should have tried to grab the cable and not let it come back.

Assume from info provided that they tried to snake and were stopped at 66'. Might be broken, might not. Might just need some more agressive work with a snake or a jetting. No reason jetting cannot be done from the access used to camera and snake. Takes more effort and more skill to manage water and prevent flooding, but no reason it can't be done.

Suggest either jet or snake more agressively from access used to camera. If the line is broken it must be dug up anyway. Nothing lost by getting some equipment caught in the possible break; if it is broken, and you get caught, you get it back when you dig.

Agree with Rick's question where is 66'. Did they locate when they had the camera in the line? How deep, what is it under, how ugly a dig? Get your arms around the possible scope of the problem before comitting to a course of action; what does a dig entail in expense and schedule?

Cannot really comment re reasonable expense; pricing varies wildly by location. If it seems very high, get competing bids.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

If it was up to me, I'd jet it from the camera access...same as Ace said...then reinspect. Hard to see condition of pipe when they're not using a skid and dirt may be covering issues. No audio? Price? Who knows, varies everywhere. One thing that is a constant...most plumbers hate to dig. I'd personally love it if all my customers dug up and exposed the pipe and allowed me to be a plumber instead of a pine handled excavator. Want a better price....they locate the pipe and you dig it up if required.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Can't see the link to the video.

Comment

use interent explorer for your browser.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              use interent explorer for your browser.