Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K60 - stoppage question? Using wrong head???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K60 - stoppage question? Using wrong head???

Hi-

We purchased a K60 a couple years back for a constant drainage problem in our parking lot basin/drains. We have 6" pipe located in a small catch basin which runs directly to the city sewer. The last leg out to the sewer where the clog is, there is a 50'-60' run. We 1st pumped most of the water out of the basin to expose the pipe on the side wall. We then ran 50' of 7/8" cable with a cutter blade. This didn't remove the clog and we are wondering if we need a different head or longer cable?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

RFurst

Re: K60 - stoppage question? Using wrong head???

Although some might say otherwise that machine is not recommended for use on 6" lines. The line is probably packed full of debris or roots and needs a bigger rod/needs to be jetted.

What bit were you using ? Longer cable ? Did you feel any resistance ? How far is it to the city main ?

Have you tried the "Rick reverse auger" I'm hearing it never fails... ?

Comment

i'd be hard pressed to put a 7/8 cable into a 6" line unless i knew WHAT was in the line and exactly where it ran. flipping the cable & getting it bound up in the pipe is a real concern.

camera the line, if possible, to see what's going on and get a jetter out there to clear the line properly.
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Used a 3" sharktooth cutter...we did hit alot of resistance but kept pushing the cable. It took all 50' of cable we had, but I'm thinking maybe I should try buying another 10' of cable to see if that helps. The sewer line is about 50'-60' so maybe we were just short. Also maybe the 3" cutter wasn't the right tool.

Can you post instructions for making the Rick reverse auger?

Thanks.

Comment

Maybe try a different head or the Rick reverse auger...don't have a jetter, so was hoping we could try another tactic before we need to spend the bucks on a jetter. We know where the line runs...someone from the city came out and pulled the manhole in the street, we were able to look in and see where our line tied in. Water was still flowing a little, they just repaved the parking lot last year, I was thinking maybe some debris got in the line when they did it.

Comment

I own and use a K60. You need to have the line cleaned with a jetter.
            26+6=1

Comment

Catch basins/ storm drains are typically sand, gravel, roots, mud and debris. Although a k60 with an innercore cable is rated for 6" pipe, these type of lines and stoppage are better handled with a jetter. Even better when jetting upstream if possible.

If all I had were a k60, I would be using a 4 blade cutter such as the T-113 3" 4 blade cutter or better yet the T-26 cat #97805 blade only 4.5" cutter that will fit the 7/8" blade holder.

Although the rick reverse auger is a miracle worker, it's useless in a 6" storm drain. The main idea behind it is when you have limited access such as a 1.5 or 2" opening and tring to cut roots off in a 6" line. Sand is another animal that is best delt with a jetter, but can be done with a cable with patience and water.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X