X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat limit switch?

is there a low cost heat limit switch for liquid? with normally closed contacts, so when it gets to the heat setting it opens up th electrical contact breaking the circuit,? want to to make a poors man Murphy type Gage on the old generator, so if it start to over heat it will close the fuel solenoid valve shutting down the generator,

I am thinking about 200 for limit, adjustablele may be better.

the idiot light over heat switch grounds out when hot and will not work easly,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: heat limit switch?

(sorry about the links - the forum appears to be puking)

Define low cost?

Here is one for max 200 degrees, manual reset, 66" remote bulb for $135:

http://ecomfort.com/remote-bulb-aquastat-controller-for-high-limit-manual-reset-applications-100-200-degree-range-86060.html?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=pr oduct_search&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_conte nt=86060&gclid=CN-IqZafhLgCFUqf4AodPBYAJA

Or another one that you may be able to adapt. It's a max of 240 degrees and for well usage (ebay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-L4080B1212-High-Limit-Aquastat-Controller-/160994032893#vi-content

Remember that any external bulb installation would need to be insulated after the install. A well installation is only secured against movement.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

that last one looks like it has some promise,

Low cost I would say under $50 if it was ideal would consider more $.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I take it you are looking for something like this but less expensive.

www.fwmurphy.com/products/sensors/tsb

www.mcmaster.com/#temperature-switches/=ne1az4
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I take it you are looking for something like this but less expensive.

ww.fwmurphy.com/products/sensors/tsb

ww.mcmaster.com/#temperature-switches/=ne1az4

The only way i could enter those links was to mung them up so they would not be recognized as URLs.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

what I have come up with for the time being or to try, is old hot water thermostat. I taped it to the out hose near the water pump, and wired in the fuel solenoid circuit,, and to increase it range a touch I nipped off the pointer and turned it past a little, I just did a test (generator was low on water a little thus ran a little hotter than normal)l, and the gage was just going out of normal range and I turned it down until it clicked off and then back up approximately 15 degrees, which the head temp would be about 200 when it limits off,

this is a old Chrysler industrial flat head, and very low or no pressure radiator cap, so at our altitude that is boiling or very near it,
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did you use something like this? but maybe an older style. I was thinking about something
              like that, but thought you were looking for something a little more conventional in design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f433d57fde351006b62944c757db62d6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	17644
              ---------------
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

I used the lower element thermostat, but yes, it is similar to that, since I had this all ready, the cost was right, if I would bought some thing I would have bought some more impressive, more like you were suggestion,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X