Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (sing it!) The Cows Fought the Plumbing, and the Cows Won!

Originally posted by BHD View Post

Personaly I am suprized the gas cmpany has not put one up,
    the gas co. doesnt think it's their problem

but that sagging one wire fence is a joke

well it's the best that a poor farmer can do for the moment. the cows recognize wire and think *zap* so they stay away. heavier panels such as the ones you have described have been discussed but set aside due to cost. driven RR ties and 2x4 or x6 have also been shelved temporarily.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I would think loosing a years worth of gas would not be that cheap either, or the repairs to the piping

even a bunch of old tires and some T posts would make a make shift fence,

I have some large tires out around the center of the pivoit I rent to keep the cattle from rubbing on the electrical and the pipe that comes up out of the ground, a few large tires laying flat (like tractor rears). work like a cattle guard small one stacked will make a wall, I have seen them withe ide walls cut off and the treads used like boards, screws to posts.

do a search For "tiredoutranch" and do a google image search for "tire fence" do to the way the fourm is working I can no post links.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I hadn't thought about the tire fence. We have lots of old tires around. The amount of gas used over the year's allotment will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 8,000 to 12,000 dollars depending upon how their office calculates it. They *may* not charge at all, as it was not an intentional usage.
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          A good fence I think would be in order.
          Agree, that single strand of barbed wire doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

The circular chart recorder looks like its showing 25 on the blue pen and the red pen is not being used.
          Is it measuring volume or pressure?

It's also seems strange (to me anyway) that with so little protection around the whole skid that there is no protection for that little gauge which looks to be maybe a 2" or 2.5" diameter with a 1/4" bottom tap. IT doesn't take much to snap one of those off and then you have NG spewing out at full pressure.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-02-2013, 06:23 AM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Dad had said that in the 40 plus years the well has been there nothing so major had ever happened. There's the normal stuff - cows turning valves, 1/4" tubing being broken, etc. Up until 3 years ago, they never removed valve handles. I started doing that and putting them into the paper monitor case. Tired of the calls at 5 AM - we have no heat...bla bla bla...

I believe the red pen measures volume or gas used for tool cleaning. Sometimes it actually flies right off the chart.
            ~~

Comment

Working...
            X