X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a die for hose thread

hello all. I need to know where I can purchase a die for the threads on an outside faucet. I would change it but it would be a bear since it's cemented to the foundation from previous owner.

the faucet is boogerd up with paint and nicks which prevent a hose from threading on to it.

would a plumbing supply house handle something like this die? any help appreciated, thanks.

Re: need a die for hose thread

That's a tuff one. I would try a triangular file on the threads or a dremel tool with caution.

Not sure even if you found a 3/4" hose thread die that it would even fit with the hose bibb body right there.

If you can find a steel hose coupling, you might be able to notch the fip threads to act as a rethreader on the brass hose threads.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

they make thread files that are better than just the single triangle file,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

this is the best I can fine so far.

chasertool.com
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Agree with Rick but I would make the Dremel your last resort. Too easy to mess up, only takes one slip and its over.

IIRC garden hose thread has an OD of 1-1⁄16 inches the thread pitch is 11.5 TPI.

Ricks idea of making a rethreader is a good one, you may be able to find one commercially made,
          possibly this one will work for you, its only $12.

http://www.chasertool.com/

http://www.chasertool.com/files/1707...ChaserTool.wmv

In fact, at $12, every plumber should carry one on the truck. It would pay for itself on the first use.

I'll let you know how well it works when I get mine in a few days.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-04-2013, 05:53 AM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

$15.45 With shipping.

Might just get1 for the heck of it.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Search PZ for simple-simple-tool-but-necessary-12768/

3/4 emt lock nut with one side cut at angle to clean the threads.

Works.

Comment

thanks all for the replies. and Bob D. i'll be watching the forum to see how well you liked the tool.

Comment

I just ordered one too. I could have used it a thousand times if I had known there was such a thing. Thanks for the link Bob!
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    $15.45 With shipping.

Rick.
                    I knew you wouldn't be able to resist at that price Rick.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Well my thread chaser tool showed up today in the mail, but I haven't
                      had time to do more than open the package and take a look at it.

At first glance appears to be of decent quality. So far my only disappointment is
                      the package says Made in China, I don't remember seeing anything about where
                      it was made on their web site, and I just visited it again and see no mention of
                      where it is made. I might not have bought it if I had known that up front, since
                      I don't really have a immediate need for the tool.

Anyway, I will post some photos and a brief review later this week. Unfortunately
                      before I found this tool I tossed an old hose away with which I might have had a
                      good subject to see how well it can restore a mangled hose end, but I will find
                      something to test it out on I'm sure.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Well my thread chaser tool showed up today in the mail, but I haven't
                        had time to do more than open the package and take a look at it.

At first glance appears to be of decent quality. So far my only disappointment is
                        the package says Made in China, I don't remember seeing anything about where
                        it was made on their web site, and I just visited it again and see no mention of
                        where it is made. I might not have bought it if I had known that up front, since
                        I don't really have a immediate need for the tool.

Anyway, I will post some photos and a brief review later this week. Unfortunately
                        before I found this tool I tossed an old hose away with which I might have had a
                        good subject to see how well it can restore a mangled hose end, but I will find
                        something to test it out on I'm sure.
                        good to hear bob. i'm not surprised the tool is made in china. most everything is including hoses. i'll be checking to see what you think of the tool after you've tried it out. thanks!

Comment

Just got mine today. It works pretty good. Made well and with a little getting used to, even shaves the face of the faucet so the rubber gasket seals good. It can even be taken apart so you can sharpen the shaver with a file.

The only thing I noticed is that the female threads are a little loose on the faucet threads and don't dig in deeply. I haven't tried to connect a hose yet, but I think it will work great.

I'll give it a 93%. It has rhythm and you can dance to it!
                          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

bought and used the tool and I was very satisfied! thanks again bob! it cleaned up the threads very well and now it will allow me to hook a hose to it. thanks again, saved me some grief.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              $15.45 With shipping.

Rick.
                              Rick you can never just have 1 of a tool can you
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X