X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Set-Rite?

Anyone ever use one of these? It is basically a gasket, followed by some spacers that set on an existing flange, and then

http://set-rite.com/

I'm thinking it might be nice to secure the flange to the subfloor before I tile, and use one of these rather than having to put the flange on after the tile (the tile is 1cm or just a bit more than 3/8 thick) is laid and drill through the porcelain to secure it. I'd hate to end up cracking one of the tiles after getting them down.

Looks like also there are just some spacers that you can put on top of a flange to make it so that the top is above the finished floor.

Re: Opinions on Set-Rite?

Never used or seen one but definently looked good after watching the video. Plus it's your house....give it shot...what's it gonna hurt?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

didn't look at the link yet. but is your closet bend/ riser plastic or cast iron?

it's always better to have the flange sitting ontop of the finished floor. you could easlily set the flange to the proper height and then tile the last few pieces around it when your're close to finishing. that way you don' need to drill the porcelan tile with a diamond core bit. it's the hardest one to drill other than granite. ridgid does sell small diamond core bits too.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, the flange is copper, but is transitioned to cast iron. I've attached a picture of it.

In the first picture you can see there was some water damage on the subfloor, and there was also a deflection that was visible when the tile was there as well. I've cut away part of it, just so I could see what I was dealing with (I kind of expected more copper than there was).

I doubt my finished floor is going to be the same height as the previous one, so I think it makes sense to cut off the cast iron just below the hub, so that there is the 4" pipe exposed and use a no-hub coupling to join the cut off cast iron to a short run of PVC, and then glue a new PVC flange onto that. I don't have snap cutters, and obviously won't buy them for just one job; so was figuring on an angle grinder and patience.

I am reminded of how nifty the pro-press snap demo tool at the roundup was. I think that I'll appreciate it even more fairly soon!
        Attached Files

Comment

charles, i would burn out the leaded joint and lead in a fresh piece of cast/ no hub. this would give you the strength and rigidity the flange and closet riser needs. making a no hub banded connection would never stay put without cementing the entire pipe into the tile mud. might not be a do it yourself connection, but it's not too expensive to bring in a pro. just stub up a 8'' riser and allow it to stub above the finish tile. then when you're ready to set th e flange onto the finished tile, you can easily cut it off with an internal cutting wheel on a die grinder or dremel. cover the floor so no sparks damage the tile. just make sure you wrap some insulating tape or corrugated cardboard around the riser to allow the flange to fit on later.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, you are talking about dropping a CI closet flange over the CI riser then trimming
            to suit I think, but you didn't mention the CI flange.

CPW, you ever made a lead joint before? This is one of the easiest but still there is a knack
            to it. Probably have no lead tools so will have to improvise for packing and caulking. I guess
            you could use a push joint but I am old school and prefer lead and oakum.

Be careful when burning out the old lead joint. Safety glasses AND a face shield
            are a good idea here. Both not either/or. You catch a hot piece of lead in your eye or
            face and you will wish you had that double protection on. Long sleeves too and
            your gonna need a decent torch not some wimpy hand held propane bottle along with
            a fire extinguisher.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

there is a lead-free alternative. it comes in caulk-like tubes and sets up hard as stone. most plumbing supply houses have the stuff. i forget what it's called. you would still need to pack the joint with oakum or similar sealer.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

bob, although i did use thousand upon thousand of instant set closet rings in new construction, i prefer a leaded / caulked on closet ring in most cases. especially when you need a secure non wobbly connection.

an instant set is fine if you can properly secure it to the subfloor.depending on charles floor thickness, he might be able to help secure an instant set with tile mud and screws?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I never did anything but lead through most of my time and some glued pvc now and then.

Then again 95% of my work was new construction, remodeling, repairs, or renovation would be a different story no doubt.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys. I am certainly planning on securing whatever flange to the floor. The dip there bothers me, and I don't want that kind of nonsense coming back. My paln is that I am going to install some cross blocking, and put an extra layer of ply there to make sure the toilet has plenty of support.

I had 2 1/2" layers, but my thought for the replacement is that the subfloor will be either 1/2" followed by 1/4", with Ditra then the 1cm thick tile. I don't want to do two layers of 1/2", because the floor will then be noticeably higher than the adjacent room's tile and come above the threshold, which I would prefer to leave in place. It makes a nice stopping point for the work, I don't want to disturb the adjoining tile/grout. The 3/4" seems a little better than 1/2", but it was nice being able to pull up the tiles on the 1/2" and then having something below it during demo. I don't plan on redoing this room again for a long time though.

I can also install blocking/anchors below the subfloor (figure a hole saw through a 2x10, to make sure there is adequate support.

Comment

Suggest You go Pressure treated lumber ! I always do in that old situation .
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Spoke with a plumber on the phone today. His suggestion instead of a cast iron riser is that we burn out the joint, then he has a transition fitting that goes into the hub (I think the word he used was dual tite), and then put in a 3" PVC riser to go above the floor. I made sure that it wasn't a no hub fitting he's suggesting, and he says they use these fittings out doors and it isn't a "fernco or nothing like that." He's coming over to check it out tomorrow morning and give a price.

Comment

I would melt it out to the 4" hub and use a tye seal gasket and a 4" pvc riser
                          then you can glue a flange inside the 4" pipe after you are done and screw it down to the floor and be done

Comment

I owe an update on what really happened. He took out the 3" copper riser and flange and replaced it with a new riser. Then came back and put a flange on when I finished up the floor. Picture of the flange (before he came back the third time with his internal tubing cutter, he couldn't find it on the truck when he put the flange on).
                            Attachment

And then the finished product, including the vanity, cabinet, and mirror that I built.
                            Attachment
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X