Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Elderly couple never flushed ~12y/o water heater. Only trickle when I tried. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly couple never flushed ~12y/o water heater. Only trickle when I tried.

Should I insert a #12 AWG bare copper wire up the boiler drain to break through the sediment?
    Boiler drain has flathead slot. No handle. Opens and closes just fine.

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Elderly couple never flushed ~12y/o water heater. Only trickle when I tried.

You will never remove all the sediment through the drain cock.
    You can try to remove it and install a full port valve attached to a nipple.
    Then the tank can be flushed and drained. Can be a messy proposition.
    At 12 y/o a new WH may be in order.
    I have removed the stem packing nut from those valves, removed the stem
    and poked a stiff wire back into the tank, but the if the sediment build up
    is too bad, it will continue to clog up. Plus it's a challenge to contain the mess.

Comment

Re: Elderly couple never flushed ~12y/o water heater. Only trickle when I tried.

Yeah....what he said ^^^^^^^^
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

honestly that's not uncommon with a tank heater. although i always advise my customers to flush their heater 2x a year, most just never do it.

but keep in mind, only the loose stuff has a chance of coming out.

now compare this to a tankless heater and if you don't flush it it 12 years, you'll already be on your 3rd. tankless.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          now compare this to a tankless heater and if you don't flush it it 12 years, you'll already be on your 3rd. tankless.
          this wouldnt be the case for either system with a properly functioning water softening system
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Re: Was able to unclog the water heater drain.

Turned off the water to the heater.
            Fully opened the boiler drain valve and shoved a bent clothes hanger up the valve trying not to damage the washer.
            Water now flowed instead of trickled out.
            Turned the water back on.
            Much sediment flushed out.

Will repeat in several months when I can again drive by their home.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              honestly that's not uncommon with a tank heater. although i always advise my customers to flush their heater 2x a year, most just never do it.

but keep in mind, only the loose stuff has a chance of coming out.

rick.
              One of the reasons why I like Eternal.

quote from them:

In Eternal's Counter Flow design, cold water enters from the bottom up as a way of self cleaning the sedimentation.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                One of the reasons why I like Eternal.
                quote from them:
                In Eternal's Counter Flow design, cold water enters from the bottom up as a way of self cleaning the sedimentation.
                David
                More difficult to install because the supply line must be extended out and down?
                Does it enter at an angle to swirl the water?
                I'd rather the sediment settle out and I drain it than it getting caught in faucets and clotheswasher hose filter.

Comment

Robert, sediment from the public water source. The Eternal is stainless steel construction.

David

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                  More difficult to install because the supply line must be extended out and down?
                  Does it enter at an angle to swirl the water?
                  I'd rather the sediment settle out and I drain it than it getting caught in faucets and clotheswasher hose filter.
                  Last edited by Dhal22; 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Re: Unclogged the water heater drain with a coat hanger wire.

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                    Robert, sediment from the public water source. The Eternal is stainless steel construction. David
                    Yes.
                    If the water enters from the bottom, is it more difficult for a homeowner to replace a failed water heater with the Eternal water heater because the pipes above no longer line up?
                    Seems like a stainless steel tank is easier to fabricate than lining a metal tank with a glass lining.

Still, I'd rather drain sediment out than have it go into faucets and toilet and shower valves.

Comment

Re: Unclogged the water heater drain with a coat hanger wire.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                      Yes.
                      If the water enters from the bottom, is it more difficult for a homeowner to replace a failed water heater with the Eternal water heater because the pipes above no longer line up?
                      Seems like a stainless steel tank is easier to fabricate than lining a metal tank with a glass lining.

Still, I'd rather drain sediment out than have it go into faucets and toilet and shower valves.
                      Homeowners DONT replace tanks with Eternals, plumbers do. Piping arrangement is no issue.

You'd get no more sediment going to your faucets than you would with any other style of water heater.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                      X