Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watts pressuregulator. Screw adjustment shaft OUT to INCREASE pressure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watts pressuregulator. Screw adjustment shaft OUT to INCREASE pressure?

Water company says OUT, counterclockwise, increases pressure.

Thank you.

This just in:

"Hello Robert...loosen the lock not on top of the regulator and turn the
    adjustment screw clockwise. Every complete revolution clockwise, will increase
    your pressure 4-5 psi."

Watts

We are supplied by a tank on a hill several miles away. No pumps.
    Our water company first measured the pressure at a nearby fire hydrant. 55 psi.
    We are a little higher, so I predicted 50 psi. They found 50 psi at our outside spigot.
    I may remove the 13-year-old pressuregulator. Can I just take it apart and gut it to remove anything impeding flow?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 07-22-2013, 08:14 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Watts pressuregulator. Screw adjustment shaft OUT to INCREASE pressure?

NEI.

Not Enough Information.

What model/size?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      Water company says OUT, counterclockwise, increases pressure.

Thank you.

If its an 1156, it would screw in (clockwise) to increase.
      26+6=1

Comment

Re: Why would they not make all the same? Idiots? Watts N35B

N35B Size 3/4
        Model U
        Set STD 50 (psi?)
        Range 25-75

I want to increase the pressure so our sprinklers have better reach.
        The sprinkler system branches off after the pressure regulator. I would have expected it to be before the regulator.

House is 13 years old.

Thank you.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

a regulator increases the outlet pressure by compressing the spring. to compress the spring, you tighten the bolt. you need a pressure gauge to properly read and set the regulator.

my gut feeling is a 3/4'' regulator will have too large a pressure drop. what's the pre regulator pressure? what size is the water service?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Watts lists that model as obsolete, but does show some repair parts on their website.

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=5251
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Every Watts regulator I have seen under 2" has been clockwise (Screw in).....as Rick mention its compressing the spring and allowing the pathway to be open more....

And I think the N55B replaces the N35B......
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                N35B Size 3/4
                Model U
                Set STD 50 (psi?)
                Range 25-75

I want to increase the pressure so our sprinklers have better reach.
                The sprinkler system branches off after the pressure regulator. I would have expected it to be before the regulator.

House is 13 years old.

Thank you.

Every residential regulator I've seen the screw turns IN - clockwise - to increase pressure. Also, in my area, every sprinkler/lawn watering system has the branch supply before the reducing regulator. Water pressure here ranges from 60 psi to 250 psi.

Be aware that by increasing your pressure you may encounter other problems in your house - water hammer, leaks forming, etc.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                X