X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless Water Heater Flushing

My Rheem gas fired tankless is nearing 4 years old and we have been very happy with it's performance.

I flush it periodically with white vinegar using an isolation kit & pump. My question is can I run some CLR thru it first, thinking that may be more effective on the scale, and then flush with vinegar?
    Last edited by PhilC; 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM.

Re: Tankless Water Heater Flushing

It shouldnt hurt it any. Vinegar is a lot more corrosive than the CLR. We normally let the cleaning solution circulate for a minimum of 1/2 hour.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

although some companies say clr is acceptable, it's not something that should be introduced into the potable drinking water system. vinegar is not going to kill anyone. isolation kits and flushing are not foolproof.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Wel lOK, I contacted Jelmar the mfg. of CLR, here's the reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We always appreciate comments, questions and suggestions.

We do not recommend using any of our products to flush out a tank/tankless water heater. The acids in our products are not compatible with the components of water heaters and there is no way to know if our product has been COMPLETELY flushed out. We always recommend using whatever the manufacturer recommends for safe and effective removal of calcifications.

Kindest Regards,

Chloe Sanders
        Jelmar Products

Comment

Uh, don't use clr.

Locke sells a bio descaling product that works excellently.
          It is like 40 bucks a gallon, but I have seen 1 gallon completely descale a unit that was almost 100% clogged up.
          And it is MUCH faster than vinegar.

Comment

From Wiki:

Calcium Lime Rust, more commonly known as CLR, is a household cleaning product used for dissolving stains, such as calcium, lime, and iron oxide deposits.
            Its ingredients include water, lactic acid, gluconic acid, lauramine oxide, and Propylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether. The product also contained phosphoric acid at one time,but it is now phosphate-free. The phosphate-free formula is slightly more environmentally friendly, but its effectiveness against some stains such as rust is greatly reduced.

None of those are considered 'strong' acids. Our supplier recommends an ice maker cleaning solution which is basically phosphoric acid. If the water tastes odd afterwards more clean water flushing is needed.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Noritz recommends 1gal clr to 3 gals of water.

Comment

I've had this conversation with Noritz and I voiced my objection. even clr doesn't recommend their own product into a heater.

remember these tankless heaters are installed in a potable water system and poisoning the water supply is not what we should be promoting.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry Guys but I was shuddering with fear and concern. I have to strongly agree with Rick on this one. Contaminating the potable water supply is absolutely out of the question.
                  Down here many years ago we had issues with Copper Corrosion. It was suggested that we do a citric acid flush through. It was going to cost a bomb and as I was a lot less knowlegible as opposed to today the salesman was really keen to get me on board to convince my client. Didn't happen. Couldn't get the right answers on the process and the protection of the water supply let alone how we were going to neutralize the system after the process.
                  As said earlier, look to the manufacturer for directions.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    I've had this conversation with Noritz and I voiced my objection. even clr doesn't recommend their own product into a heater.

remember these tankless heaters are installed in a potable water system and poisoning the water supply is not what we should be promoting.

rick.
                    Just stating a fact, fwiw I use vinegar.

Comment

Working...
                    X