Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing new kitchen sink drains, need answer for the morning / afternoon so I can

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new kitchen sink drains, need answer for the morning / afternoon so I can

When installing the new drains and connecting them to the sink.
    I am wondering is there a special tool used to keep the drain from spinning as you tighten the nut and gasket under the sink?

what is better to use to seal the metal drain to the sink? Silcone or plumbers putty?

When i try and tighten the nut under the sink it just spins, I do not want to damage the new one.
    Is there a better brand to buy then the ones Home Depot carries, the drain baskets or plugs are plastic and they break easy. What do you experts recommend?

thanks
    Stuart in Canada

Re: Installing new kitchen sink drains, need answer for the morning / afternoon so I

I recommend a plumber.
    26+6=1

Comment

Re: Installing new kitchen sink drains, need answer for the morning / afternoon so I

there are 2 styles of strainers. 1 uses a large 3.5'' nut, typically brass on the higher end strainers and pot metal on the illegal ones. of course plastic on the junk strainers. the other style uses 3 screws to snug them up.

on a cast iron sink i prefer putty as it has a large pocket for the putty to squeeze into. but on the stainless steel or pressed steel sinks, you might have better luck with silicone or a factory gasket since there is little room for the putty to stay.

there are little spud, drain tools to help hold the strainer in place. i just use my hand on the surface to hold it in place.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick for the advice. I removed the complete sink and re did the drains. Only problem was putting the water supply lines back to the shut off valves. The guy who did his own kitchen remodel and built his own cabinets etc, put the hot water pipe closest to the cold side of the taps, and the hot water line closest to the cold side of the taps, I got them mixed up but a quick fix and it was all connected right.

My 2 and 1/2 old helper was great at helper, only misplaced one wrench. His quote of the day as I am carrying in my tools from the garage. " Beautiful , just beautiful" I asked what was beautiful and he replied " The orange bag is beautiful" The Ridgid Drill bag is beautiful to him I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X