X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need a new pressure regulator

Been noticing a pressure drop when running more than one fixture so I decided to take some pressure measurements this evening.

Static Pressure - 90PSI (slowly creeps up to this value after water is shut off). I believe this is the value of our incoming water based on measurements done in the past. I set the pressure to about 50psi when I installed this regulator about 11 years ago.

With kitchen faucet running - 40psi
    With kitchen faucet + 3 vanity faucets running - 25psi.

Any good recommendations for new regulators? I currently have a Watts N35B which I think is now obsolete. Obviously a regulator that can regulate with the lowest pressure drop for the highest flow would be great. I know most manufacturers publish performance curves.

Re: I think I need a new pressure regulator

a wilkins 600 is the most common for me. a wilkins 70 double union is also a good choice.

an 11 year old regulator is most likely shot. anything over 75 pounds means the regulator is bad unless it's from thermal expansion. make sure your water heater is not heating at the time of the reading and then you know it's a bad regulator.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      a wilkins 600 is the most common for me. a wilkins 70 double union is also a good choice.

an 11 year old regulator is most likely shot. anything over 75 pounds means the regulator is bad unless it's from thermal expansion. make sure your water heater is not heating at the time of the reading and then you know it's a bad regulator.

rick.
      Unlikely to be thermal expansion as I have a tankless and I was running the cold side only. The N35 is connected with double unions which makes changing easy if it is another N35 but I'm guessing the Wilkins will be a different dimension which will mean having to sweat off the old unions and install new connections.

Comment

Watts N35BDU - 6-1/8" from the solder ends of the union to the solder end of the union
        Wilkins 70 - 5-15/16".

From the spec sheets.

Will the Wilkins 70 directly go where the Watts was or is the dimensional difference too great? Are the unions universal or are the device specific - will the union going on to the body of the Watts also fit the Wilkins?
        Last edited by blue_can; 07-25-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

the take off dimension is not that great of a concern with the double unions and rubber washers.

the union nut size and thread is a concern and I don't know the answer as watts is not a regulator I use or come by.

if you buy the wilkins 70, you can remove the old regulator and check the nut thread from the wilkins to see if it fits the watts and vica versa.

I know at 1 time the Honeywell braukman regulator was a direct drop in for the wilkins, purposely. but Honeywell is no longer in calif. due to the lead laws.

I believe hd sells the wilkins 70 pretty competitively.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I think the N55B replaces the N35B...should be direct swap out....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Yes I checked and HD does sell the Wilkins 70 and the Wilkins 600. I need to find it but I still have the old N35 I replaced somewhere in my garage along with the new unoins the new one came with - should be able to use that to check the Wilkins without removing anything. I actually bought a N35 repair kit intending to fix the old N35 back then but from what I recall I got stuck trying to remove the screws as they were on tight.

I will also look into the N55 although from what I see it looks like a lot of Watts regulators are not for sale in CA (possibly due to lead laws?)

Comment

Watts are sold at Lowes. Next year the whole country goes lead-free. Maybe we'll get Braukman's again.

Comment

I found the following cross reference guide on the Wilkins website.

http://content.zurn.com/web_document...s_prv_xref.pdf

So according to this the Wilkins 70 is not compatible with the N35B but there is a regulator NR3 which is. However, it is unclear if it will simply be a drop in and the unions will fit the part exactly or if it simply a correct size in terms of gap.

My local HD does stock the NR3.

I may contact Zurn to find out.

Other option is to redo the incoming plumbing including the whole house shutoff valve. There is only about a 1/4" clearance on one side between a tee and the regulator but I'm not sure the tee goes anywhere. I can open the wall and find out. But due to the gaps cutting everything out and replumbing might make more sense. Does it make sense to replace old shutoffs?

Comment

Well I got it taken care of.

The NR3 at HD was not a DU so I contacted Ferguson who had it in stock. The guy at Ferguson was skeptical if the Watts and Wilkins were interchangeable. I also spoke to Zurn who said it should be and that the threads were standard. However, there were some minor differences in the union which made me unsure also - the Watts has a o-ring type seal whereas the Wilkins has a flat washer.

It also turns out that Ferguson also is selling the Watts N45DU (LF - lead free version) which apparently is now replacing the N55 and it is a direct drop in replacement (also confirmed by Watts tech support). So I got one and it dropped in place without any issues. The only odd thing I found was that it was supposed to be preset at 50psi and I found that it was reading 40 psi static so I adjusted it to 50. Everything else checks out fine - static pressure as well as pressure drop with the same 4 fixtures running was just a few psi.

So everything is good (until the next time )

Comment

Working...
                    X