Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Is using unused galvanized steel water pipe for gas code acceptable?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is using unused galvanized steel water pipe for gas code acceptable?

We're moving our gas range about 10 ft to another wall in the kitchen where our refrigerator used to be. There's a galvanized steel water pipe in that location that has been capped off since we're now on copper plumbing. Our contractor decided to use that galvanized steel pipe as our new gas pipe. Is this allowed by the code? We're in Los Angeles, CA.

Re: Is using unused galvanized steel water pipe for gas code acceptable?

Wow. Nothing wrong with gal pipe for gas here in la. Installed miles upon miles of it. Especially around the beach communites.

But what kind of cheap contractor can't go out and buy new pipe for something so important as gas?

Yes, it's illegal to use pipe for gas that's been used for something other than gas.

It's good you caught it, but what else have they done that you haven't caught?

Where in la are you?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We're actually in the beach community. South bay.

Apparently, according to my contractor, the pipe has never been used for water. He said he could tell by looking at the inside of the pipe. It was clean.

It's funny you should ask because I was wondering about one other thing he's done. We have a washer drain pipe behind a wall that is no longer in use so he cut off the elbow (?) and sealed off the pipe with a rubber cap (jim cap?). Is rubber cap a permanent solution to seal off a pipe that's inside a wall?

Thank you.

Comment

How could a water pipe that's been installed never been used?

Nothing wrong with a jim cap. Pretty much the same as a no hub band minus the stainless shieldling to prevent flex.

Sure they could cap or plug a threaded joint, but nothing wrong with a jim cap. In fact I prefer them for end of line cleanouts as they are removable as needed compared to threaded connections that don't want to unscrew years later.

Be sure to take photos of everything document later or post.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I was always told it is illegal to use galv for gas. Is that code? Not sure. Because here lately I have been hearing we can use it for gas. Not that it matter since we use black religiously, but for the odd time you need a fitting and can't find one omg it's five thirt- wait we have a galv 90 can we use that? For times like those.

The reason I was told it is illegal to use for gas is because someone might take it out of a gas system, then put it in a water system, allowing all the chemicals to get in the drinking water.
          Sounds reasonable enough to me. Black is cheap enough to buy and use exclusively for gas.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
            I was always told it is illegal to use galv for gas. Is that code? Not sure. Because here lately I have been hearing we can use it for gas. Not that it matter since we use black religiously, but for the odd time you need a fitting and can't find one omg it's five thirt- wait we have a galv 90 can we use that? For times like those.

The reason I was told it is illegal to use for gas is because someone might take it out of a gas system, then put it in a water system, allowing all the chemicals to get in the drinking water.
            Sounds reasonable enough to me. Black is cheap enough to buy and use exclusively for gas.
            Read your code book.

Comment

We have a multi-page thread on Galv vs black pipe for gas which I'm sure Rick remembers. It was an interesting thread but stopped when that guy got banned for insulting Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                ... we use black religiously ... we have a galv 90 can we use that? ...
                Is there an issue with electrolysis from such a substitute?
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                X