X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure tank vs constant pressure dilemma

I'm remodeling an owner-occupied duplex with a dying pressure tank.
    One well serves both sides. 2 kitchens, 2&1/2 baths total.
    I spoke with two local installers, each with opposing viewpoints.
    I can find a million opinions on the internet convincing me to go either way, and it's usually in technical language that this carpenter doesn't understand.
    What should I install? Please help.

Re: pressure tank vs constant pressure dilemma

First of all, since your a carpenter and not a pump installer, you shouldn't install anything. You should let a pro do it. I don't do room additions or remodels.

There are all kinds of bladder tanks on the market. Most of them are not worth half what you will have to pay for them. The good ones (only three) generally last 5 plus years and carry a 5 year warranty. If they are large enough for the pump supplying them, they work fine by themselves. If they are undersized, then a constant pressure valve should be used. The whole thing is to keep the motor from cycling which is what kills them.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
      First of all, since your a carpenter and not a pump installer, you shouldn't install anything.
      Obviously I am not going to literally turn the wrenches. I'm the general on the job and the owner is deferring to my decisions on all utilities. I'm deciding between two subs with two very different opinions.

Comment

Anything Grundfos or similar constant pressure is unnecessarily complicated & expensive. If the person promoting this does not know this or how to do the same thing without a system such as this.....then I would say they need to do a little more homework.

Comment

What should I install? Please help.
          That's what made me think you were doing the work.

Now I'm confused. You said you had a dying tank and now your talking about subs. Are you talking about pumps or sub contractors? If it's just a tank you need, take a look at mine. Great pricing and quality all in one purchase. Bladder Tank
          Last edited by speedbump; 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

(Two sub-contractors with differing opinions.)
            I'm at a loss about this because my regular plumbers are city folk and they don't deal with well water very often.
            The guy pushing the constant pressure said that since the little tank in a constant pressure set-up was much smaller, it would be cheaper to replace every ten years than a standard big pressure tank, and that the increase in water pressure would be worth price tag (which is double the cost).
            But like Bobs said there's all the extra crap that can fail.
            Does everyone here agree with you two that the standard, tried and true, pressure tank is better?

Comment

Everyone has their beliefs. What very few of us will argue is that bigger is always better in pressure tanks. Also the fewer times a pump motor has to cycle, the longer it will last. What is debated a lot is constant pressure systems over standard systems and constant pressure valves.

I sell constant pressure valves. I sell bladder tanks but don't sell constant pressure pumps. Nobody in my area sells them that I'm aware of. However I have one that was given to me by a manufacturer to try out. Two years so far and no problems nor complaints. Before that I had a constant pressure valve. Loved it too. Before the valves got somewhat popular, the bigger the better theory worked well for me. I now have the constant pressure system, but still use a 120 gallon galvanized tank both for storage and sulphur gas removal along with two 42 gallon equivalent bladder tanks. I still think bigger is better even with constant pressure.

Comment

The tank is located under the stairs so it can't be huge.
                So "cycle stop valve" and "pump stop valve" and "constant pressure valve" are all different names for the same device?
                Is there a specific brand I should specify (brass over plastic)?
                This is what the first proposal includes:
                LOCKS & CHAINS – REPAIR JUNCTION BOX
                FL-17 PRESSURE TANK
                1” TANK TEE
                ½” SAMPLE TAP, ½” RELIEF VALVE, ¾” BOILER DRAIN
                COPPER FITTINGS
                6” WELL CAP
                1” ADAPTER AND CONDUIT
                I don't see a CSV, should I find another installer?

Comment

Yes all the same. And that's not all of them. I don't know what an FL-17 tank is, but it sounds kind of small. Who are these guys? Plumbers, Pump Installers or Well Drillers?

Comment

Working...
                  X