X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing the last ABS Connection

I had a p-trap that broke on the bottom, it was installed too low, was touching the drywall in the ceiling below.

I had to cut it out, but now I don't know how to put it back together. The drain pipe can move about half inch, so in total I can get about an inch of travel out of it if I push it in one direction then back the other way.. but it's a tight squeeze.

Any tips on putting this back together? I will likely not be able to turn the last connection.. Unless I somehow manage to squeeze a straight connector between and then turn it, but I think it's a little too big of a piece for the amount of movement I have..

I attached a photo.. the P-trap is not glued in there yet. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Gluing the last ABS Connection

Glue the bottom of the trap on last. Assuming you did everything correctly it should glue right on.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So do everything first, and then put glue on both connections of the trap and slide up in place?

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Glue the bottom of the trap on last. Assuming you did everything correctly it should glue right on.

Mark
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe that the bottom of the trap is too tight to the ceiling, osb below to glue it last.

If you have more than 2" between the joint hubs, a no hub band can be used to make the last union type joint.

Rick. .
        phoebe it is

Comment

I am not sure if I am allowed to put that type of coupling in a place with no access?

The trap was too tight to the ceiling until I cut it out, now it goes higher since the pipe is shorter coming out of the shower. I'm thinking of cutting down into the drain pipe and adapting something to make it line up with the new higher level.. I just want to make sure I can do the final gluing once it's all said and done. I've never done a straight glue without twisting..

Comment

A shielded no hub band is acceptable in walls, floor, underground, and exposed locations. They've been used since the late 60's.

Raising the trap requires raising the waste tee, san tee in the wall too. Not just installing a couple 45's on the trap arm.

Unless you cut out the ceiling below, I doubt you have room to glue the trap bend in last.

A no hub band is your easiest way out and perfectly legal out here.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the info Rick, you are right that a no-hub band is the easiest, it looks like Lowes has a shielded one I can pick up.

I'm not sure what you mean by having not enough room, the ceiling is already cut and the photos attached are taken from below, have you seen the attached photo?

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated!

Comment

A shielded no hub band is acceptable in walls, floor, underground, and
                exposed locations.
                But...is that a Tyler No-Hub band used on No-Hub CI pipe, or used on any material?
                Some might consider that a misapplication and not to code.

did you mean a Mission band with shield which is designed and approved for use on this pipe?

Maybe you think I am splittting hairs, but if he gets a No-hub band meant for use on CI pipe it may not be to code.
                I know that some PIs I know would not accept it here in NJ.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  But...is that a Tyler No-Hub band used on No-Hub CI pipe, or used on any material?
                  Some might consider that a misapplication and not to code.

did you mean a Mission band with shield which is designed and approved for use on this pipe?

Maybe you think I am splittting hairs, but if he gets a No-hub band meant for use on CI pipe it may not be to code.
                  I know that some PIs I know would not accept it here in NJ.
                  In Southern California, the AJ allows shielded No Hubs on 1.5" and 2" ABS in the walls. That is not a universal approval.

Mark

Comment

I decided to just glue everything, and put the p-trap last.

It's all in place drying up. Once it's dry I will get the p-trap in..

How long I should wait for the ABS glue to set before putting the trap?.. I don't want to disturb the other connections.

Also, since the pipe moves about half inch, it looks like I will be able to twist it slightly left right while pushing the trap up.. that should do the trick and seal it in perfectly.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by caracal; 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Everything worked fine, got someone to help and put glue on the trap while I put glue on the pipe and then put it in quickly, 5 seconds and it was done!

No leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by caracal View Post
                        I decided to just glue everything, and put the p-trap last.

It's all in place drying up. Once it's dry I will get the p-trap in..

How long I should wait for the ABS glue to set before putting the trap?.. I don't want to disturb the other connections.

Also, since the pipe moves about half inch, it looks like I will be able to twist it slightly left right while pushing the trap up.. that should do the trick and seal it in perfectly.
                        Vent 90?

Mark

Comment

It takes years of experience to decide which tactic to take. I still struggle with it after more than 25 years. Had one just yesterday that I had to cut out a galvanized drain in a very tight space under a kitchen sink, had both hot and cold waters tight on the bottom of the 1 1/2 glav. drain. I thought, WTF am I going to do with this? No way in hell to cut the glavy in half without cutting a live copper line no matter if I cut up or down. Decided to go further down in the basement to cut it down there. Re-piped all of it and glad I did. The entire kitchen drain was completely full of hard sludge.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Vent 90?

Mark
                            If Mark were your inspector, I think he would call for a do over.

You did get one thing right when you figured out how to make the final connection by gluing in both ends of the u bend at the same time. However, the beauty of a glued swing trap is that it gives you a lot of flexibility so you don't have to use fittings like the vent 90 pictured. If the offset from the horizontal run to the center of the shower drain is farther than the maximum swing of the trap, one 1/16 bend would have been sufficient to align everything. More fittings means more chances for hair and soap scum to build up. I'd cut it out and do it again.

Comment

Working...
                            X