X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Leaded Joint To No Hub.

I have removed my tub and am installing a curbless shower. Will be using a linear shower drain (Laticrete) which has a 2" discharge. Problem: existing sewer pipe is 1 1/2". Code, AFAIK in CT, is 2".

Existing galvanized sewer pipe threads into a (galvanized?) 1 1/2" x 2" coupling/ bushing which is leaded into a 3" x 2" CI bushing/ bell which is leaded into a 4" CI Tee.

I would remove the 1 1/2" galvanized pipe by cutting it close to the coupling and then cut it parallel to the pipe at the threads a few times and section it out. I can then melt/ drill/ remove the lead seal and so remove the 1 1/2" x 2" coupling/ bushing, but what do I replace it with to reconnect the new 2" no hub cast iron pipe?

Someone on another site suggested caulk. That may be fine but I have never heard of caulk being a proper plumbing joining material. Perhaps "caulk" is plumber"s lingo for a common material/ method. I dunno!

Replacement has to be cast iron for sound deadening purposes as pipes are in Kitchen ceiling.

Pics Link:
    http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Ba...?sort=3&page=1

Barry

Re: Changing Leaded Joint To No Hub.

Get one of these, put it in the hub, use push pipe lube inside the rubber and on your no-hub pipe and push it in. Fernco makes these, along with Ty Manufacturing, and many other brands. Its called a soil pipe push gasket.

Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

SewerRatz -

Thank you for the reply - The Perfect Answer. Clear and informative. Just what I needed.

Bought the gasket and some lube. Installing today.

Barry

Comment

The caulk they were probably referring to is a lead-free replacement. It's like a very heavy liquid nails/epoxy combination that sets up as hard as lead and is just as durable.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I interpreted caulk as to caulk a joint. Packing a joint with oakum and pouring a lead joint, then required the "caulking" of the joint. Meaning to pack the joint with your different irons, inside and outside.pretty much a lost art. About all I do now are closet rings.

The gasket ron showed is great. I used one on a tie in with great results. Make a punch out of 1/2 a coupling to help push, hammer in the seal. Abs or pvc works just fine. I just used soapy water and the punch.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            I interpreted caulk as to caulk a joint. Packing a joint with oakum and pouring a lead joint, then required the "caulking" of the joint. Meaning to pack the joint with your different irons, inside and outside.pretty much a lost art. About all I do now are closet rings.

The gasket ron showed is great. I used one on a tie in with great results. Make a punch out of 1/2 a coupling to help push, hammer in the seal. Abs or pvc works just fine. I just used soapy water and the punch.

Rick.
            That's cauk not caulk, isn't it Rick ?

The Ty-Seal gaskets from years ago did not have all those ribs on the OD, only one which mated with the cauk groove in the hub, and the ID was smooth. I remember seeing the type Ron posted but don't remember the manufacturer.

We used to have a puller tool from Tyler for assembling them, and a big lead hammer we made from a 3 foot length of 3/4" pipe with about 3 5# chunks of lean melted down and poured into a coffee can mold around it. Worked great for banging stuff together. On the big stuff we'd get the backhoe tompush it together sometimes or use come-a-longs if need be, I'm talking 15 inch stuff here.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X