Changing Leaded Joint To No Hub.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Leaded Joint To No Hub.

I have removed my tub and am installing a curbless shower. Will be using a linear shower drain (Laticrete) which has a 2" discharge. Problem: existing sewer pipe is 1 1/2". Code, AFAIK in CT, is 2".

Existing galvanized sewer pipe threads into a (galvanized?) 1 1/2" x 2" coupling/ bushing which is leaded into a 3" x 2" CI bushing/ bell which is leaded into a 4" CI Tee.

I would remove the 1 1/2" galvanized pipe by cutting it close to the coupling and then cut it parallel to the pipe at the threads a few times and section it out. I can then melt/ drill/ remove the lead seal and so remove the 1 1/2" x 2" coupling/ bushing, but what do I replace it with to reconnect the new 2" no hub cast iron pipe?

Someone on another site suggested caulk. That may be fine but I have never heard of caulk being a proper plumbing joining material. Perhaps "caulk" is plumber"s lingo for a common material/ method. I dunno!

Replacement has to be cast iron for sound deadening purposes as pipes are in Kitchen ceiling.

Pics Link:
    http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Ba...?sort=3&page=1

Barry

Re: Changing Leaded Joint To No Hub.

Get one of these, put it in the hub, use push pipe lube inside the rubber and on your no-hub pipe and push it in. Fernco makes these, along with Ty Manufacturing, and many other brands. Its called a soil pipe push gasket.

Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

SewerRatz -

Thank you for the reply - The Perfect Answer. Clear and informative. Just what I needed.

Bought the gasket and some lube. Installing today.

Barry

Comment

The caulk they were probably referring to is a lead-free replacement. It's like a very heavy liquid nails/epoxy combination that sets up as hard as lead and is just as durable.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I interpreted caulk as to caulk a joint. Packing a joint with oakum and pouring a lead joint, then required the "caulking" of the joint. Meaning to pack the joint with your different irons, inside and outside.pretty much a lost art. About all I do now are closet rings.

The gasket ron showed is great. I used one on a tie in with great results. Make a punch out of 1/2 a coupling to help push, hammer in the seal. Abs or pvc works just fine. I just used soapy water and the punch.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            I interpreted caulk as to caulk a joint. Packing a joint with oakum and pouring a lead joint, then required the "caulking" of the joint. Meaning to pack the joint with your different irons, inside and outside.pretty much a lost art. About all I do now are closet rings.

The gasket ron showed is great. I used one on a tie in with great results. Make a punch out of 1/2 a coupling to help push, hammer in the seal. Abs or pvc works just fine. I just used soapy water and the punch.

Rick.
            That's cauk not caulk, isn't it Rick ?

The Ty-Seal gaskets from years ago did not have all those ribs on the OD, only one which mated with the cauk groove in the hub, and the ID was smooth. I remember seeing the type Ron posted but don't remember the manufacturer.

We used to have a puller tool from Tyler for assembling them, and a big lead hammer we made from a 3 foot length of 3/4" pipe with about 3 5# chunks of lean melted down and poured into a coffee can mold around it. Worked great for banging stuff together. On the big stuff we'd get the backhoe tompush it together sometimes or use come-a-longs if need be, I'm talking 15 inch stuff here.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X