Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2-500 Trap Primer Problems

Hi

I've recently installed the P2-500 Trap Primer to service 2 floor drains in basement. When I first installed the drains a number of years ago I used 1/4" tubing, I wish I'd used a min of 3/8" but I'm stuck with the 1/4". I installed the primer as per instructions and have it tee'd into a 1/2" cold water line to basement toilet, cycled it a few times, adjusted the flow, and all looked well. When the toilet is flushed the unit works flawlessly. The issue begins when the wife uses the washing machine and/or the kids use the outside tap, while the other is showering and the wife decides she wants to use the dishwasher. When this happens there is sufficient pressure drop throughout the house that the primer runs non stop and as a result, the 1/4" lines can't take the volume of water and water spills out the air holes in the primer body.

I've provided an image that details my set up. If there is a solution please let me know because I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
    Attached Files

Re: P2-500 Trap Primer Problems

1/4" tubing is your problem. Out of the hundreds I've installed, I've never used anything other than 1/2" id copper.

You have a couple options, you can install a couple pieces of 3/4" pex from the tee to the floor and see if the extra volume of the pipe will store enough water during the surge to prevent backup. You could try a ball valve on the primers inlet to limit the flow. Or you could have installed it propery and ran the required size to the drains. I know 1/4" is not what was specified with that trap primer. As a construction inspector, you should have caught that.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by redhalton View Post
      Hi

I've recently installed the P2-500 Trap Primer to service 2 floor drains in basement. When I first installed the drains a number of years ago I used 1/4" tubing, I wish I'd used a min of 3/8" but I'm stuck with the 1/4". I installed the primer as per instructions and have it tee'd into a 1/2" cold water line to basement toilet, cycled it a few times, adjusted the flow, and all looked well. When the toilet is flushed the unit works flawlessly. The issue begins when the wife uses the washing machine and/or the kids use the outside tap, while the other is showering and the wife decides she wants to use the dishwasher. When this happens there is sufficient pressure drop throughout the house that the primer runs non stop and as a result, the 1/4" lines can't take the volume of water and water spills out the air holes in the primer body.

I've provided an image that details my set up. If there is a solution please let me know because I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
      Looks like you answered your own question. Re run the lines with 1/2 pex

Comment

Thanks for the input, it was very helpful. I knew the 1/4 inch line was an issue, but I was hoping a plumbing fairy would look at the image and say something like "head out and buy a whatchamacallit, install it and your problem will be history". The best way is the right way, I have some work ahead of me, but it's all doable with a good attitude and some sweat equity.

Thanks again.

Comment

You still can try a ball valve in front of the primer.

What are the 2 traps serving? Are they really going to run dry if you don't have a primer?

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Txt.

Comment

Working...
            X