Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Above the ball valve or below is the question (?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Above the ball valve or below is the question (?)

I have a 3/4 copper cold water supply line into my hot water tank which was installed without a ball valve. Presently the CW supply line heads directly north (30") from the HWT with a tee under the floor, off the T the line extends (horizontally) to a manifold where all the CW is supplied to the house.

To clean things up and install the ball valve, I intend on taking the T out of the top of the supply tube, replace with a 90, about half way down install the ball valve and directly under the ball valve install another T to supply the CW manifold.

My question - to supply the CW manifold off the vertical CW supply that runs into the HWT, do I install the T north of the ball valve or south of the ball valve or does it matter?

If the T is above the ball valve, opening/closing the ball valve will have no effect to the water supply to CW manifold. If below the ball valve opening/closing ball valve with effect both the supply to HWT and to the CW manifold.

Hope this makes sense?

Re: Above the ball valve or below is the question (?)

I would put a vale on the line coming in that could be used to shut off all the water ever where,
    and then on the WH line to isolate the water heater, if it needs work or craps out and takes a few days to repair or replace, that way you will still have some water going to the bath room and the kitchen and other locations if there are some,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3f804a063eaeded976f774661c4f0b94.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	17718 This is what I think is the correct way to make connection.

Comment

Makes no sense to me. Call a plumber and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
          Makes no sense to me. Call a plumber and do it right.
          God Damn IRON that would be a smart move............!!!!

Then again why not get an Engineer in to do a complete report and write a specification. Or as we have down here why not get a Landscape Architect to do the same for you. When it goes pear shape courts love these type of PROS because they are supposed to be better qualified than us of course.

Comment

What kind of inspector are you? If plumbing, you should be fired immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by redhalton View Post

My question - to supply the CW manifold off the vertical CW supply that runs into the HWT, do I install the T north of the ball valve or south of the ball valve or does it matter?
              A. For you to do ANY of this, you have to shutoff the water. Therefore, there should already be a valve, ball or otherwise, perhaps at the CW point of entry.

B. Hence, there is no need, other than future convenience, to add a second valve before the T.

C. Leave the T in place. Between the T and the HWT, add a valve.

D. Between the T and the CWM, add a valve.

E. Done.

BTW, one of the things which makes your post confusing is that, I believe, you refer to "a tee under the floor". It may have been clearer if instead you a) added the word "above" or b) refer to it as the "ceiling" or "joists above". You stand on the floor. You look up at the ceiling.

Hope this helps,

Barry

Comment

If your plan is to use the CW in the event of a tank failure, place a valve in the hot water pipe also. Many single handle faucets will allow cold water to feed back into the hot side when there is a lack of balancing pressure.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                  What kind of inspector are you? If plumbing, you should be fired immediately.
                  If I were a Plumbing Inspector I wouldn't need to ask these types of questions.

In the future if you don't have anything constructive to add, do everyone a favour and take a pass - you only waste my time and others who are here to learn.

Ta Ta...

Comment

Working...
                  X