Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace cast iron pipe through cement basement wall

Hello all,
    I am new here, and this is my first post. I am near positive a question of this nature has already been discussed, but the search tool cant seem to find it...
    I have a house that was built around the late 1950's. It has Cast Iron pipes for the drain system. My questions are where the basement where the CI pipe goes through the cement basement wall, about 2 feet outside of the wall (towards the septic system ) the CI pipe has broken. About 1 foot further towards the septic tank, the pipe goes into a 4 inch ceramic with a bell. The CI pipe that is between the outside wall and the ceramic is very deteriorated. In fact it is so bad that it also needs replaced rather than just slipping a boot over it. so...
    Where the CI pipe goes through the wall is solid mortar or concrete, with no sleeve. I am looking for suggestions on what to do as far as the pass through the wall is concerned. The pass through the wall is a very nice looking job, very solid, and no leaks. What would be the least damaging way to remove the old CI pipe from the wall.. After a boot is put on outside to connect the New Plastic pipe to the Clay pipe there should be no problem with expansion and contraction, besides, the replacement will be plastic pipe. The pipe that passes through the wall is 3 inch Ci, so when I change to Plastic, I will have a bit of a gap to fill, but probably not enough of a gap to sleeve it.
    Since the pipe is already broken outside the wall. this will be my starting point, but have plans in mind of replacing the entire CI system with plastic. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Re: replace cast iron pipe through cement basement wall

It is plumbing per se until it goes outside the foundation wall, then becomes side sewer so cut the pipe inside at a spot in good condition pass the new PVC thru and make a connection to a good spot in the side sewer then seal the foundation wall around the new pipe. Rubber shielded fittings will make the transition from dissimilar pipe materiel's.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

For the wall you have to use what is needed if there is constant water present then a polyurea sealer is best, if it is dry then mortar or hydraulic cement may be used some use spray foam all depends on what kind of seal you need.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by MindlessCorpse View Post
        Hello all,
        I am new here, and this is my first post. I am near positive a question of this nature has already been discussed, but the search tool cant seem to find it...
        I have a house that was built around the late 1950's. It has Cast Iron pipes for the drain system. My questions are where the basement where the CI pipe goes through the cement basement wall, about 2 feet outside of the wall (towards the septic system ) the CI pipe has broken. About 1 foot further towards the septic tank, the pipe goes into a 4 inch ceramic with a bell. The CI pipe that is between the outside wall and the ceramic is very deteriorated. In fact it is so bad that it also needs replaced rather than just slipping a boot over it. so...
        Where the CI pipe goes through the wall is solid mortar or concrete, with no sleeve. I am looking for suggestions on what to do as far as the pass through the wall is concerned. The pass through the wall is a very nice looking job, very solid, and no leaks. What would be the least damaging way to remove the old CI pipe from the wall.. After a boot is put on outside to connect the New Plastic pipe to the Clay pipe there should be no problem with expansion and contraction, besides, the replacement will be plastic pipe. The pipe that passes through the wall is 3 inch Ci, so when I change to Plastic, I will have a bit of a gap to fill, but probably not enough of a gap to sleeve it.
        Since the pipe is already broken outside the wall. this will be my starting point, but have plans in mind of replacing the entire CI system with plastic. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
        I know you guys do it a bit different over there. We generally don't muck around with 3" pipe, 4" is far cheaper to use. Look at the OD of 4" as opposed to the OD of the cast. Can always taper down inside cant you. If you put plastic through the wall membrane from the outside and then repair with mortar or other flexible material like mastic.
        That's what we would do down here

Comment

So as not to blow out the wall with a chipping hammer, I would hire a core drilling company. They can drill a perfectly round hole without damage from inside. You might just need to cut back the ci line about 3' to accommodate the core drill and motor.

You can then cleanly patch the hole with the proper water proofing material.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

If it was block you could use a 6" dry core bit in a 7" angle grinder then insert a 6" sleeve, run your new 4" pipe through, then use a link seal to close the gap between the pipe and sleeve. There are a number of acceptable materials and methods for sealing the penetration.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

All the ones I had to replace through the wall. I just hammered out the old pipe. Then slide in the new pipe and cement the pipe in place with hydraulic cement. Never had a wall leaker. Just be sure to back fill the hole outside all around the bottom, top and sides of the pipe with well compacted stone.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Since the 3" line converts to 4" at what sounds like 3' from the foundation, if it was my house, I would take Ricks advice and get a larger diameter hole core drilled and feed a 4" sch 40 pipe through. I personally would sleeve the line and use polyurethane caulk to seal the openings. Actually, if it was my house I would use my 5" dry core bit, but that would be tough sledding with nothing to guide the arbor. Although if a person wanted to get creative you could jam a piece of wood into the pipe, drill a 5/16" hole in the center and use that as a guide. You may be able to rent the tool and drill bit locally.

If you run a 4" line you can install a full size cleanout in your house which might help you down the road.

Originally posted by MindlessCorpse View Post
                Hello all,
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that cast iron from the late 50's is so deteriorated that you can't couple onto it right outside the wall. You must have horrible soil there. If you have never dry drilled a 6" hole through a wall I suggest you hire a professional to do that portion instead of renting the equipment yourself.

Comment

Whack it behind that 4" CI coupling, knock out the hole with a hammer/chisel, sleeve it, hook it up, repair hole with hydraulic cement, and be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X