No announcement yet.

Get rid of cast iron?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get rid of cast iron?

I work at a large project that was built starting in the mid 60's and finished in the early 70's. This has 13 different hoa's and 1 master hoa

The interesting thing is the first few buildings had lead and oakum joints and the buildings that were compleated in 1968 and beyond were no hub fittings and pipe. This makes the material approx 45 years and newer. Its not the bands that are failing, its the pipe and fittings that are oozing. Many owners have had to fix and replace sections of material. Keep in mind this dates the no hub installation 1 of the oldest in the country. I at first didn't believe no hub was even around back then, but after a couple phone calls, I verified that was pretty much the first introduction to no hub in the city.

But lets move up to more modern times. We did a 4 story hotel that was compleated in 1993. The owner calls me up several years back, probably around 2009. He was concerned why he was replacing a lot of pipe and fittings. After speaking to him and asking plenty of questions, I concluded that the pipe and fittings he was replacing was more related to the area drains, roof drains and planter drains. These all are on the same system but not combined with the sanitary waste system. Also keep in mind the pipe and fittings are from the same maker and same batch as the the sanitary waste. It was all instaled at the same time by the same crew.

I concluded that the pipe had suffered from lack of use and the wetting and drying affect. Seen it plenty of times on storm drains, area drains. The pipe gets wet, then dries out. Rust and then gets wet dries and rust. The rust acts like how when pipe freezes and splits the pipe open. also the build up of gasses plays an affect on pipe splitting. That's why the majority of time it splits around the 11:00_1:00 position on horizontal piping and not typically the bottom half .

Same situation with a large condo project I've been involved with since around 1996. I've replaced lots of 3"-6" no hub storm and area drain piping due to dry out cracking. Seems like every season, I'm there replacing pipe. Once again, its the top portion and is not visible from below. It doesnt leak unless we have a very significant storm that will fill the system. I have also found it when I do prefentative jetting.

Problem is there is no choice as to what we can install. It has to go back in with metalic pipe and fittings. We cant use any flammable materials in the parking garage ceilings. No hub is pretty much all we have to use.

If plastic was legal here, I would be swapping it over to plastic.

Sure plastic is easier and lighter to work with. But it's also much more difficult to make it look good and you don't get a second chance to correct it. No hub can be hung much straighter and aligned perfectly. Plus you can take it apart and reassemble as needed. Sure its heavier and takes more manpower and tools, but it doesn't mean its a better product.

If our codes out here ever change to allow for plastic in exposed locations of fire rated buildings, I guarantee you plastic will replace no hub just as it's replacing copper in water piping. Its not just a cost savings, its a superior product for the job at hand.

Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    phoebe it is

When I was doing new construction, we did a tract where the houses were 2 stories, we would make sure the upstairs toilet risers were cast iron. The contractor didn't want Archie Bunker toilet flushing sounds happening. The rest of the building was ABS

Rick, do you remember whose pipe that was? Tyler, Charlotte, or someone else maybe.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.