X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Valves

I'm the director of facilities for a skilled nursing facility. We recently had our survey by DPH and we failed one portion because of hot water. Our water was at 137* even though we monitor the output from the mixing valve daily and it shows 120. Obviously we'll correct our monitoring of the water temp from here on out.

I'm looking to get a plumber in to replace the mixing valve and wondering what your thoughts are on: MX130C - Honeywell-Sparco MX130C - 2" NPT MX Mixing Valve (90-120°) Looks simple, easy to use and replace if needed.

We need to have our water below 120 and above 105, 115 would be optimal. My facility that this 1 mixing valve would serve has 48 resident rooms, 24 have showers, we have 2 spa rooms. 1 has 2 showers, and a tub, the other has 1 shower and a tub. We have 10 public bathrooms as well. The kitchen appears to be fed off of the 140 line completely so I'm not worried about that load. What are your thoughts on this valve?

One of our biggest problems since monitoring temps 24hrs a day lately is that the evening temps are all over the place. This could be due to the lack of use, or the staff taking the temps at those times aren't doing it right. We do have recirculating pumps on the lines, and there are some check valves, however I doubt those have ever been replaced and may be bad causing some of the bad temperatures.

Re: Mixing Valves

What's in currently? Symmons? I ask for a reason.

I have limited experience with the smaller Honeywell-Sparco valve. I haven't had issue BUT haven't had it scrutinized/tested annually as you have to do.

Comment

I really do not know. I can take a picture tomorrow if that helps. I do know it's a large visible verticle spring that has a disk under the spring you turn up or down.

Comment

Sure. A picture of it and the piping arrangement may help myself or others give any ideas as to what may help your situation.

Comment

Honeywell makes a fine product but that mixing valve is not one of them.

I wouldn't use that one in your application anyways. Like Bob said, Symmons or a Leonard mixing valve is what you need.

You can easily add a sensor that trips an alarm if temp is outside of parameters. Might be worthwhile being a nursing facility. A few degrees out could lead to scalding and/or death.

Comment

How long has it been in?

Have you ever removed the cartridge and cleaned it?

Replaced the cartridge?

Have replacement parts with you if you haven't done either and want to clean or replace to see if it corrects the issue.

Comment

Took some searching to find it, but this is what we have: http://www.powerscontrols.com/pdf/B-11.pdf

Comment

How long has it been in?
                Have you ever done anything to it?
                Taken it apart & check internal parts?
                Check or replace the bulb?

And did it ever work correctly?

Comment

I doubt anything has ever been done to it. Not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing at least 10yrs or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
                    I doubt anything has ever been done to it. Not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing at least 10yrs or more.
                    Well, it may just need servicing. Only way to know is to do it & then test it.

Comment

Just wanted to update. We eneded up getting prices on replacing the existing unit with a newer one and that was a bit pricey for what we were getting. Got other quotes to replace the existing unit with a new mixing valve, but they were all 4-5 week lead times??? Anyways, I did a bit of research and found a mixing valve: Thermostatic Hot Water Mixing Valve Stations. Low Maintenance. and went with the Towle Whitney. Talked to the company, and got all the info on the unit. Replacement parts are very easy to get, and replace, and cost effective too. So far it's working great! We also started fixing another problem that was leading to low water temps for quite a few of our rooms - being that we had to replace the Powers shower cartridges. So far it seems we've gotten the temps to stabalize.

Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X