Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does salt in sewer lines help stop roots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does salt in sewer lines help stop roots?

I can't find a thread o this but im not a computer genius. I had some customers do this and it seems to work. I imagine heavier salt settling on the bottom of the pipe and producing a saline solution. Is flushing a handful of ice melt acceptable? Sorry I can't afford a jetter and dont know some who has one to refer. Plus people cant just afford me to dig it up and repair sometimes. Is flushing salt reasonable or even acceptable to suggest?

Re: Does salt in sewer lines help stop roots?

Doesn't help because it sits on the bottom of the pipe while roots can enter all around...usually in camera inspection I see them grow from the top. There is a product called Root X that works very well.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So the truth is I gave this advice to a customer. It really seemed to work. I've seen rootX. Honestly A real cleaning is the only fix. I carry a K1500 and a k50. And all kinks of fittings, ballcocks, flappers, tub spouts, supplies, toilet flanges, ect.. only so much room on the van. But everyone just wants that quick easy fix. maybe the government will fix it soon through subsidies as everyone needs plumbing. Then the way I do it where the way I do it is not the very best that I can do, but the very best that can be done by me and i charge what I know its right will be thing of the past. I will live in the land sunshine green grass and rainbows forever with my hand dug well and an outhouse. HAHAHA..

Comment

No disrespect, but it seems a lot of people want subsidies. What that infers to me is they want someone else (you and I) to pay for their problems. I have worked my whole life trying to remain independent. I do not want or require government assistance.

Comment

as ben already mentioned. salt will kill roots, but the roots would have to already be in the water flow. typically the bottom 1/3 of the pipe. copper sulfate is a good root killer, but it too needs to get to the top of the pipe where the roots enter. dead roots still need to decay and rot away.

other issue is if the pipes that you apply the salt from travel through metallic pipe, you just wiped those out too.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will take all into consideration. Except the government check. except Old women who who cry because their husbands used to keep up the house and now they need a break to cry on my shoulder.Except people whos relative was a plumber. Also no more this is too much Im not paying this. Ill charge what I think is right. I'm not the cheapest in town. If people want that I suppose they can get AA plumbing or AAAplumbing or afordable plumbing or new wave plumbing. Im just not that guy. Until the government takes it over. Then I leave. Maybe go to school to be an accountant. Seems an easier and safer than plumbing. And who knows I guess everyone trusts an accountant/leach bloodsucker. Seems plumbing is just easy. I don't get why they call me sometimes. They try to find someone else yet cant when there's like 17 pages of plumbers in the phonebook?

Comment

Working...
            X