Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use a low heel 90 on it's side? Please see photo.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I use a low heel 90 on it's side? Please see photo.

IL does allow it provided the 2" is washed.

Your location says Chicago. I've been told they don't allow wet venting. Don't hold me to that. If you can't wet vent, I would say no, you can't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      IPC Table 706.3 Notation f.:

"The heel inlet connection of a quarter bend may be used as a wet or dry vent if the heel inlet connection of the quarter bend is located in the vertical position. The heel or side inlet connection may be used as a wet vent if the quarter bend is located directly below a water closet or other fixture with one integral trap."

Utah & Rick, what's your interpretation of this? Am I misunderstanding the wording?

Thanks.
      Vertical position is 45-degrees or better. As drawn it is 0-degrees.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Vertical position is 45-degrees or better. As drawn it is 0-degrees.

Mark
        Thanks. And the second sentence?

Comment

Takes too long to type it out, but refer to the upc section 905.3, and 908.1

Of course this applies to calif. And other upc states.

Rick.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...53537100,d.cGE
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Takes too long to type it out, but refer to the upc section 905.3, and 908.1

Of course this applies to calif. And other upc states.

Rick.
            Does the code I quoted in the IPC state that he/she may use a heel inlet 90 in the manner of the picture they provided?

Comment

I'm reading it the same as Marks post #17. Vertical is 45 degrees or greater from horizontal. But I don't have your code book, no less an illustrated one that would show an example.

If it's allowed under your code, then its 100% different than our upc code when it comes to flat venting. See what others say that use the ipc say. Can't believe flat venting is allowed. But then again it's a flat wet vent with short sweep fittings.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The UPC section 908.0 appears to be veeery similar to IPC. Just more words. Referring back to 905.3 with traditional venting only serves to confuse if trying to co-ordinate it with the rules/code of 908.0 i.e. wet venting.

But let's say they are completely different. If that be the case, and I've presented the right code & interpretation in regards to this persons area, then yours and Utah's assessment of "No" and "Heck No" that it cannot be done legally, is completely incorrect. You're wrong.

It can be done, is code approved, and will work without issue.

What I don't understand is that you two are smart guys yet seem to ignore the second sentence of the code I cite as if it is not there. Or am I confused?

I read and interpret your code to be similar, or heck, maybe the same in regards to wet venting.

But again, let's say they're different. Which leads us waaaay back to what I originally said. It really doesn't matter what you or I interpret based on any of these codes. What matters is his area and interpretation. You and I are possibly both right AND wrong.

Just like all codes. Which is why strict interpretation and enforcement are a joke.

Comment

My use on not allowed are based on the upc code what we use here in calif and many other states.

Your code you posted In the 15th post came way after mine and marks post. But reading that the heel inlet to the 1/4 bend must be vertical, still tells me it's still illegal based on the code you quoted. Of course I don't care to research your codes as I don't use them. But the code you posted states vertical inlet which it's not.

Ive already stated 3 different reasons why it's not legal based on the upc. Your code is different, but your interpretation seems off too.

Maybe others can explain it better that actually use the ipc.

I don't and not sure if mark uses it out of state.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Bob's interpretation is correct for his code. It is legal as long as it is washed out. Though I seem to recall the '06 code only allowing it to be washed out by a lavatory though that my have been our inspector
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      My use on not allowed are based on the upc code what we use here in calif and many other states.

Your code you posted In the 15th post came way after mine and marks post. But reading that the heel inlet to the 1/4 bend must be vertical, still tells me it's still illegal based on the code you quoted. Of course I don't care to research your codes as I don't use them. But the code you posted states vertical inlet which it's not.

Ive already stated 3 different reasons why it's not legal based on the upc. Your code is different, but your interpretation seems off too.

Maybe others can explain it better that actually use the ipc.

I don't and not sure if mark uses it out of state.

Rick.
                      Again, for whatever reason, it seems that you refuse to address the second sentence of the code I cite at all. Regardless of whether you use it or research it at all. As if both sentences must be met for DWV to be code compliant. If the first sentence fits what you understand, the second does not exist.

So, just to make it simpler maybe, I'll ask again for yours and Utah's opinion on your interpretation of this sentence:

"The heel or side inlet connection may be used as a wet vent if the quarter bend is located directly below a water closet or other fixture with one integral trap."

You don't have to use the IPC to render an opinion based on the information. Heck, call it an amendment to the UPC for next year if you'd like. Just how would it look to you in practical terms?

Of course my interpretation could be off, and yours can be as well. Right?

Off to re-read the UPC wet venting.....

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        Bob's interpretation is correct for his code. It is legal as long as it is washed out. Though I seem to recall the '06 code only allowing it to be washed out by a lavatory though that my have been our inspector
                        Correct. Don't want to just dump a W/M in there.

Comment

Correct. Don't want to just dump a W/M in there.
                          i didn't even consider a washer, I was more picturing a jaccuzi
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The UPC's wet venting is interesting to read. Rick added a link to his post on page 2 if curious.

If you read just the wet venting section the interpretation feels very similar to IPC. However, it seems to be interpreted there in conjunction with the UPC's definitions for traditional venting. And I'm not sure you can do that without constant confliction of interpreting many of the horizontals as "flat" vents.

Comment

Inconsistent codes don't surprise me anymore. Out here they require a vacuum breaker on commercial water heaters, the vacuum breaker isn't allowed because there are downstream shutoffs. But your inspection will be failed repeatedly until you install it

Comment

Thanks. And the second sentence?
                                Side inlet should work under IPC 706.4

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X