Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I use a low heel 90 on it's side? Please see photo.

I like how the original poster ran far away from this thread.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      Inconsistent codes don't surprise me anymore. Out here they require a vacuum breaker on commercial water heaters, the vacuum breaker isn't allowed because there are downstream shutoffs. But your inspection will be failed repeatedly until you install it
      Exactly. I saw the original post a day before anyone answered.

I knew the picture would be considered correct by IPC interpretation. And that it would probably not be code by UPC or some other interpretation.

Then, like many times, it would end up with "Yes you can do that" and "No you can't do that".

And here we are. All a certain amount right & wrong with it not really mattering.

Just as I said and you know, the OP's local-official interpretation is what they have to follow and considered "right".

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Side inlet should work under IPC 706.4

Mark
        Correct. It did not specifically include "heel inlets" as I recall for 706.4. Now for the fun...706.4....has since been deleted.

Comment

Deleted in the book or deleted on the blue pages?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Again, you have to read the first part stating it has to be installed vertical. Assuming that, Then you can go do the side outlet or heel inlet.

We have a fitting called a new orleans fitting. Basically a side inlet to a heel outlet. We used just shy of 1000 of them on a job in the vertical position to pick up a tub connecton. There were 2 makes. 1 had the inlet at the same level as the 3" heel and 1 had the inlet slightly higher than center line of the 3" heel. The inspector caught the discrepancy and made us change the ones that were at the same inlet level.

Lets just say down the road the lav doesn't get used and the line becomes just a vent. We both know the first time it stops up, the vent will no longer function. How many times have you removed a wall co on a back side of a comby serving a riser for the fixture above and the co was all gunked up. Picture the co as the vent line you have pictured. All gunked up means no more vent.

Flat venting is not to be confused with combination waste and vent. Out here a flat vent is almost always illegal.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

It is two separate statements in one paragraph Rick. What configuration are you able to picture which both allows it to be installed under a toilet And remaining vertical?

Comment

Deleted in the book or deleted on the blue pages?
                Deleted. Period. It is written in black and white: 706.4 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends. Deleted.

The code I cited earlier now covers it. At least in the book. Depending on where you're at.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                  Deleted. Period. It is written in black and white: 706.4 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends. Deleted.

The code I cited earlier now covers it. At least in the book. Depending on where you're at.
                  This is taken from your States 2012 Edition of the IPC.

Mark
                  Attached Files
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    This is taken from your States 2012 Edition of the IPC.

Mark
                    Thanks. My book is NOT current.

So funny to me though. They eliminate it-"It must be done this way...." then add it back "No, it must be done that way!"

Just shows me again to take it with a grain of salt. So with current IPC, he would need a "high" heel inlet if I'm interpreting correctly.

Doesn't matter though. The OP should ask locally.

Thanks again for the update. Might save me some headache sometime.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-04-2013, 01:17 AM. Reason: Re-understood it. :)

Comment

It is two separate statements in one paragraph Rick. What configuration are you able to picture which both allows it to be installed under a toilet And remaining vertical?
                      Look at a new orleans fitting. Basically a heel outlet with a side inlet for an additional fixture. The 2" vent is vertical and the side inlet is horizontal. A heel outlet is only allowed to be used in the 2" vent vertical position. Vertical is 45 degree or greater.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

in florida you can , but you must make sure you are washing the base of the vent. no dry vents in florida

Comment

Of course you can. Code compliant and no troubles. Even Mr. Utah put a picture of the codebook page for some that are having trouble understanding.

Comment

Hey guys,
                            Thought you might be interested that in Australia we have pretty firm regulations on plumbing codes, but there is a lovely clause at the end of each of our standards that state that the installer can apply to the regulatory body for exception to any standard. It basically allows plumbing practitioners here to take responsibility for any work they do that may bend the rules so to speak. As long as you are willing to guarantee your work and it is not considered dangerous or negligent by the authority you can do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X