Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a low heel 90 on it's side? Please see photo.

May I use this 3in pvc side inlet closet flange in this angle? Not sure if this is the intended use of the product. Please see photo below. I will have a small bathroom sink flowing into that vent from an above 2 in sanitary T. Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: Can I use a low heel 90 on it's side? Please see photo.

Simple answer is no.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by havoc88 View Post
        May I use this 3in pvc side inlet closet flange in this angle? Not sure if this is the intended use of the product. Please see photo below. I will have a small bathroom sink flowing into that vent from an above 2 in sanitary T. Attachment

Go with it I've seen worse
        Attached Files

Comment

No. really people.....

Comment

Sounds like this forum is turning into the PZ

Comment

Yes go for it. However, take a couple of photos and send them to me so I can enter into the hack of the year comp down here. They are offering 5k for first prize this year.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                No. really people.....
                Really people? I have not seen applied evidence that one code has been proven to be THE correct code while all of us have it beaten into our head that "You can't do this, you can't do that" so.....at one time, the interpretation here is that you absolutely CAN use a heel inlet 90 as I interpret the picture. (IPC)

You are allowed a wet vented fixture into the back of it provided the 90 is used from vertical to horizontal as the picture shows. You can do the same thing with a side inlet 90.

Seen it done by others and done it myself with ZERO problems. No trap rocking or loss of seal. No rocking of the spot of the toilet either with multiple brands.

But in this land of "My code is right" B.S. it doesn't really matter what will work correctly and protect everyone. The only thing that matters is what his local B.S. interpretation is by licensed people and inspectors.

There, he/she may not be allowed to do this at all, and all DWV must be copper or cast iron.

So really, the right answer to their question is not yes OR no. The right answer is to ask local inspections so they can bestow their wisdom of how they want it to be done regardless of what will work.

Comment

Really bob? Of course almost anything will work for a period of time if code means nothing to you.

Wet venting needs 1 pipe size larger for the fixture vent it's serving. Toilets need a 2" vent to start off with.

How about the fact the heel outlet flat vents in that position?

Or the fact a short sweep/ sanitary sweep is only allowed horizontal to vertical down. Do you also allow san tees on their backs?

And lastly reducing on the run requires a cleanout. Reducing on the branch doesn't.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Really bob? Of course almost anything will work for a period of time if code means nothing to you.

Wet venting needs 1 pipe size larger for the fixture vent it's serving. Toilets need a 2" vent to start off with.

How about the fact the heel outlet flat vents in that position?

Or the fact a short sweep/ sanitary sweep is only allowed horizontal to vertical down. Do you also allow san tees on their backs?

And lastly reducing on the run requires a cleanout. Reducing on the branch doesn't.

Rick.
                    I was referring to the picture he/she provided. A heel inlet 90 is never allowed on it's side. At least not here, if that's what they are asking.

That picture, in that scenario, is allowed all the time and I personally have never seen nor heard of an issue. As simply explained over and over by inspectors, those on the code board, and at CE classes here. 1 DFU allowed into the back or side. That could have changed though. Might be using some sort of B.S. California, Tennessee, Philadelphia, etc. interpretation now.

San. Tees on their back? Some areas here allow that as a venting only. Some areas won't even allow that. Must always be a combination.

As far as "code means nothing to you". That is a vague and incorrect statement. Strict enforcement and strict belief that any code in our current form & interpretations is absolutely correct is complete ignorance. Your code, my code, anyone's code. So yours, someone else's, even MY strict interpretation of any code doesn't mean too much. Why? Because there are differences within these codes for the same fixtures.

Until there is universal agreement, and I mean exactly the same for the basics and theory anywhere you step in the world, then there will always be disagreements and confusion. Even between those that supposedly know what they are doing.

Comment

Unfortunately, our local codes and your o8cal codes may differ, but that's what we have to go by. Of course some inspectors don't always know right from wrong, but if they want to enforce the code, then they have to enforce it by what is written in the code.

We've all challenged inspectors 1 time or another. But you also need to know what battles to fight. Something simple to make them happy and off your back is 1 thing. Something involved that cost real money is another.

Out here that fitying installd the way he pictured and explained it would never fly if the inspector actually takes the time to spot it. Doesn't matter if they caught it or not, it's still wrong and against our plumbing code. At least out here in upc land.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I just have a pet peeve about different codes and therefore any strict interpretation.

So, if I understand you correctly, in your area a heel inlet 90 may never be used?

Not even if in the horizontal to vertical position with the upstream fixture vented?

How about if inverted with the 2" up as a vent?

Comment

a heel outlet is intended for a toilet and vent. it's used with the 2'' vent vertically and the line flowing from horizontal to vertical down. in the picture he drew in is illegal in many ways that I've mentioned.

still illegal even if he eliminates the 2'' lav inlet.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

The answer is not just no but HECK NO.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

IPC Table 706.3 Notation f.:

"The heel inlet connection of a quarter bend may be used as a wet or dry vent if the heel inlet connection of the quarter bend is located in the vertical position. The heel or side inlet connection may be used as a wet vent if the quarter bend is located directly below a water closet or other fixture with one integral trap."

Utah & Rick, what's your interpretation of this? Am I misunderstanding the wording?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X