X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunging techniques?

I am finding that what seems like it should be a simple task is actually taking a huge amount of effort on my part, and not getting the results I am looking for. My two typical cases for plunging (with little luck) slow drains are:

Bathroom sink: I remove the drain plug/stopper, have an assistant hold a damp cloth over the overflow holes, and I start plunging with water in the sink. Sometimes I can feel good resistance, and other times it feels like I'm plunging air. I try to accentuate the up-stroke. I get water all over the vanity, some black/brown crud, it is slightly better, but slows again in a month or two.

Tub: Remove the drain lever and the perforated drain disk thing, helper holds damp cloth in overflow tube, I plunge like above. A lot of sweat, some gunk, but not a huge difference in drain rate.

I don't want to use chemicals, have PVC in 1994 house, no septic, 3 roof stacks. Our water is neither hard nor soft, and we don't use a ton of soap. My DW and DD contribute a lot of hair in the drains I am sure, but I don't see gobs of hair coming up when I plunge...maybe there is a hair jam further down?

Is there a plunging technique I can apply here, or do I need to use a different tool? I see those hand held rotary snakes but have never tried one. Thanks!

Re: Plunging techniques?

All things aside, snaking is really the only procedure that results in no callbacks...

I do all my jobs alone. Here's how I do it:

the plunger I use is the cheap plastic accordion style found at lowes, valu, and home depot.

Bathroom sink - remove popup plug, half fill basin with water, cover overflow holes with my rubber gloved fingers or some other non-permeable membrane, use equal force on the up and down strokes until water drains freely.

Tub - Remove plunger and overflow parts, pack a towel or glove packed with cloth into overflow, fill tub to 1-2" over drain, plunge as I said above.

Plungers are designed to clear trap blockages. Rarely if ever are the blockages just in the trap.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I find that people give up to soon with a plunger. Punkys right, a snaking is best.
      26+6=1

Comment

my plunger clears 99% of all toilet only stoppages.

but that's about the only place it really gets used. sometimes i'll plunge a shower that still has paper left over from a main line stoppage that forced paper and waste back into the trap.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Plunger works
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, how long were they using that plugged up toilet?

based on the mess in there, it looks like days of use.

rick.

ps. your plunger sucks
            phoebe it is

Comment

No idea but but it's actually an upscale neighborhood. The wife said they tried to plunge for 3 days before they threw in the towel. Only issue with the plunger is how is it going to remove the chunk of beef the renters threw down the toilet to cheat money on the rent?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gear junkie; 10-09-2013, 11:13 PM.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hope you brought the steak home and cooked it up.

Looks tasty.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

That would probably go with Rick's milkshake

Comment

Cant beat a good mop in the toilet to plunge a simple blockage. Why not try the enviro method. I think it is Carb soda followed by cheap vinegar which is like a safe acid type clean. Otherwise small jetter will clean better than cable everytime.

Comment

Thanks. For snaking a small diameter sink drain, what is a good type of snake to get? The rotating type? I don't want to get it wrapped up on anything.

Comment

k50 is what i use.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                          Thanks. For snaking a small diameter sink drain, what is a good type of snake to get? The rotating type? I don't want to get it wrapped up on anything.

K-45AF would be best for what you need to do.

Comment

No votes for a HAND SPINNER?

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                              No votes for a HAND SPINNER?
                              That's kind of what I'm thinking, something suitable for small drains, that won't break the bank (or my back).

Comment

Working...
                              X