Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas hot water heating water pressure too low?

I marked the water pressure on the gauge in my gas hot water heating system last year. It was about 20psi. I just started to use it this year. I noticed the pressure on the gauge is much lower than last year. It's a little higher than 10psi after the system is heated.

The system is connected directly with the house water system with an opened ball valve.

Does that mean the house water pressure is that low?

Somebody said online that the heating system pressure should be in the range of 12 -- 22 psi. Is it right? Should I bring up the pressure if I can (I do a have pressure regulator installed at the water entrance of the house)?

Re: gas hot water heating water pressure too low?

Are You talking about a domestic hot water heater , OR a hydronic water heater for radiators ?? How about a picture , Plaese ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think he is talking about a gas boiler for home heating. Boilers lose water pressure between heating seasons (and during) The OP should have a manual or automatic boiler feed valve to adjust water pressure to the boiler. IIRC, it should be about 10psi per floor. No way is a boiler tied in to street water pressure without some way to regulate pressure. Time to hire a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        I think he is talking about a gas boiler for home heating. Boilers lose water pressure between heating seasons (and during) The OP should have a manual or automatic boiler feed valve to adjust water pressure to the boiler. IIRC, it should be about 10psi per floor. No way is a boiler tied in to street water pressure without some way to regulate pressure. Time to hire a professional.
        The OP is probably talking about a home heating boiler. Cold water pressure should be about 12 psi. 22 psi would be normal when up to shutoff temperature.

In some desolate and rural areas water pressure can be so low as the boiler may have no reducing valve system. It is rare but I have seen 2 in 13 years. Some hacks may also not install a reducing valve and tie directly to house pressure. they think that it will never lose pressure and, once filled, it will never need any again. (Open valve, fill boiler to 12-15 psi, close valve, go home).
        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          The OP is probably talking about a home heating boiler. Cold water pressure should be about 12 psi. 22 psi would be normal when up to shutoff temperature.

In some desolate and rural areas water pressure can be so low as the boiler may have no reducing valve system. It is rare but I have seen 2 in 13 years. Some hacks may also not install a reducing valve and tie directly to house pressure. they think that it will never lose pressure and, once filled, it will never need any again. (Open valve, fill boiler to 12-15 psi, close valve, go home).
          Open valve fill boiler leave valve open ! INSTANT CROSS CONNECTION ! !
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I am wrong, sorry. The boiler is NOT directly connected to the water supply. There are at least two devices in between. Pictures will be a better way to show the status.

The blue pex is the pipe connected to the house water supply.

I tested the house water pressure last night. The reading is about 62psi. My gas boiler is a 3 yrs old Burnham Alpine high efficiency boiler. I am just wondering why the heating loop pressure reduced from 22psi last year to about 12 psi this year, and how to bring it back? The 12 psi is read after the system is fully heated. My house is a one floor house.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by thisnewowner; 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Right there above your expansion tank is a boiler auto feed valve with a back flow preventer not properly installed. You, (or a qualified professional) can adjust the water pressure. If you are not hearing gurgling through your hydronic baseboard system at this time the pressure is sufficient.

Comment

There's lots of stuff not right with that install. The water feed valve may only be scaled over. Tripping the feed override may resolve the pressure issue. However, for the system to remain at 12 psi throughout the heating cycle leads me to believe there is a huge amount of air in the system that is not being properly purged out by the autovent (it may be closed) or the pressure gauge has failed.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  You're in the Sh1t now for playing the Call a pro card. Some people here hate us because we know what we are doing.....................!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X