Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

    I have a gas furnace and gas water heater and wondering if code generally requires a chimney liner to be installed for this application? What type of liner would be best Stainless? The current chimney is clay tile.

    I see a lot of them going in to houses in the neighbour hood sow just wondering its do to new water heaters or maybe a pellet stove or something.

  • #2
    Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

    A terra-cotta clay tile liner should be sufficient and pass any code.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

      Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      A terra-cotta clay tile liner should be sufficient and pass any code.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

        If you will pardon the pun, running gas appliances through a clay tile chimney is playing with fire!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

          In all cases the chimney has to be examined for a number of factors. proper construction, lined with a tile or metal liner, clear of soot, creosote or obstructions, will it effectively conduct the products of combustion outdoors, and is it sized in accordance with code requirements.
          Those are just initial things that have to be checked. Too often appliances are piped into chimneys and not properly sized resulting in a rain of condensation and improper venting. There will be a number of other factors that will need to be checked to meet whatever local code requirements your area is subject to. This is really not work you should attempt on your own. Get a homeowners permit at the very least and have your local gas inspector check it out if you do tackle it. Better to hire a licensed journeyman gasfitter who knows your local regulations and let him do the job and take any liability on. Typically you will most times find that the chimney does need a properly sized and approved liner.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

            Terra cotta is acceptable for a gas appliance in my area as long as it's not cracked. However, I would never attempt to hook up an inside terra cotta chimney with any gas appliance. We leave those decisions up to the chimney company we use regardless.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

              Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
              In all cases the chimney has to be examined for a number of factors. proper construction, lined with a tile or metal liner, clear of soot, creosote or obstructions, will it effectively conduct the products of combustion outdoors, and is it sized in accordance with code requirements.
              Those are just initial things that have to be checked. Too often appliances are piped into chimneys and not properly sized resulting in a rain of condensation and improper venting. There will be a number of other factors that will need to be checked to meet whatever local code requirements your area is subject to. This is really not work you should attempt on your own. Get a homeowners permit at the very least and have your local gas inspector check it out if you do tackle it. Better to hire a licensed journeyman gasfitter who knows your local regulations and let him do the job and take any liability on. Typically you will most times find that the chimney does need a properly sized and approved liner.
              Shock I would say in this situation one should call on the services of a PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER to make the assessment as they know everything................

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

                Do you guys have any records relating to CO poisoning from gas appliances.........????????????

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

                  Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                  Shock I would say in this situation one should call on the services of a PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER to make the assessment as they know everything................
                  No, a professional engineer is not at all called for. Engineers have already been involved in the creation of our gas code and related venting tables etc. providing us with all the tools we need to make a proper determination as to how to properly do this venting. I realize we are all coming from different jurisdictions so what I say will be more relevant to the regulations in my area and that is the perspective I approach this from. However our gas code provides all the information needed to make the call regarding all venting questions. Gasfitting and related venting issues are only a mystery if you are not properly trained. Hire a licenced gasfitter, make sure any applicable permits are obtained and the job is inspected.
                  Perhaps you were being facetious? Not sure what your point really was? No disrespect intended.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

                    Yeah you got me Shock. Hey no disrespect taken.

                    Down here we are battling with that much BS we might as well open a methane factory. We have a regulator that doesn't regulate for fear of getting sued for getting it wrong. We don't have Gasfitters in control, we have Mechanical Engineers who know all about writing standards and reciting them as such. As far as chimneys are concerned we are having many problems with new appliances and other issues. It is getting to the point where we are nearly getting forced to insert steel flue into the cavity to the appliance. Anyhow we have our own problems here and they are pretty huge. We fear that there will be more tragedy to come but that is falling on deaf ears

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Chimney Liners for gas appliances are they needed to pass code?

                      I see where interior masonary chimneys may get a pass , but exterior don't ! Is this because interior are always warmer, because the house insulates them? I can see a big difference in temp.
                      in a cold climate, but not as much in a warm one. I imagine S.F. has many gas appliances in old terra cotta lined chimneys. Would adding a gas log require lining anywhere ?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X