Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I/2" steel 90 with 1/8" plug in threaded hole ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I/2" steel 90 with 1/8" plug in threaded hole ?

I see these before the gas valves on old boilers. What is the purpose for these please ? Always a plug in them ,nothing else?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: I/2" steel 90 with 1/8" plug in threaded hole ?

just a guess but to be able to do a pressure test?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

For reading the "gas" pressure on that line or burner
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Back in the day, when techs knew what a manometer was and how to use one, the 1/8" plug was for monitoring the gas pressure of that area of the pipe. It could have been for inlet pressure, manifold pressure, crossover pressure or there may have been more than one for measuring pressure drop which can be used to help determine volume/flow. You will note that gas valves typically have at least one of the same size ports, typically plugged with an Allen head plug that have many of the same functions.

On propane systems there is a small pressure switch that can be inserted. It ties into the burner circuit and breaks the circuit at low pressure, usually less than 8" WC, to prevent sooting of the appliance.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Not unlike the plugged taps on appliance regulators.

Comment

This is on my own boiler. waiting for a new gas valve from pex supply. I bought a mannometer a few weeks ago, Now I can test My gas pressure. Thanks all for the info. PS,Pex supply has awesome prices !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
            X