Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leak Found

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    If You found this Yourself, You're not average !
    Not me, the landscaper found it. And he left the area dug out for a plumber to fix it, which will probably happen tomorrow.

My only claim for credit is that I paid attention to my water bill and raised the alert.

Comment

Is that PVC pipe? In my area, the water authority does not allow PVC for potable water use. It does get used in well systems, usually before the expansion tank or shortly after the tank if a chlorine injection system is used.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
        Is that PVC pipe? In my area, the water authority does not allow PVC for potable water use. It does get used in well systems, usually before the expansion tank or shortly after the tank if a chlorine injection system is used.
        It's a straight copper pipe coming down from the backflow valve, and then it's "white plastic" pipe starting with the elbow. I don't know if it's PVC or something else (CPVC, PEX). I also don't know what our rules are for piping potable water through the main line (from the meter to the house). I will check on that and post back if I find out.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
          It's a straight copper pipe coming down from the backflow valve, and then it's "white plastic" pipe starting with the elbow. I don't know if it's PVC or something else (CPVC, PEX). I also don't know what our rules are for piping potable water through the main line (from the meter to the house). I will check on that and post back if I find out.
          I checked and this appears to be something addressed in the California Plumbing Code. I'm not clear on the difference between CPVC and schedule 40 PVC, and whether the code makes a distinction for piping buried in soil. Perhaps one of the CA plumbers on this forum will chime in and provide a straight answer to your good question.

Comment

Code-Approved Piping for Residential Potable Water

Found it. I'm attaching a snapshot of the California Plumbing Code indicating that PVC (along with other types of piping) is allowed for the exterior supply line to the house.

If I read this table correctly, PVC is not allowed for interior piping because it isn't temp rated for hot water.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X