X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Meter Cover removal

I would like to access my water meter to check the reading. The cover is imbedded in the sidewalk, next to the backflow valve unit.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the cover? I'm attaching a photo.

It has what looks like two slot screws at the upper-left and bottom-right corners, and the rectangular slot opening on the left side has a metal pin in the middle of the slot.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Water Meter Cover removal

Ist You have a lotta crug, and maybe caulking around thr cover ! Take a putty knife at an angle and hammer it around the joint cutting the crud out. Then take a LARGE flat blade screwdriver in the long side slot and pry up. slots are for that porpose. Try both
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We don't have outside water meters here, but looking at the picture I think that those two screw slots would have to be loosened as well as they probably hold the cover tight to the base.

I know our telephone and cable companies have the same style of underground box but have hex bolts where the screw slots are to keep the cover in place.

Comment

Dear Homeowner
        It definately looks like it been hit with something like Dap caulking
        I would start by contacting your local water company and have them send a tech out to help you.They may be responsible for the box
        It will save u a lot of hassle
        David

Comment

Hey average homeowner ,in Marin County, I'm average Contractor in Marin Co. ! If You want , I'll swing By and free it up for FREE ! Send Me A PM if You like.
          PS , I love COOKIES !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Call Chuck Woolery....we have a love connection.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
              Call Chuck Woolery....we have a love connection.
              WOW We met online !

Comment

I don't remember what brand I have but Reed sells several different ones.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just wondering how often are the lids are opened by the water utility to take a reading with the meters outside in a pit?

Because of the cold weather here in the winter all of our meters are inside and the water utility attempts to do one staff reading over the summer. The customer is sent a mailed request to call in the other 3 quarterly ones. To prod people into doing a reading if you don't call a reading in, you get an estimated bill that is usually on the high side so the customer will give a reading to get an adjusted bill.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
                    Just wondering how often are the lids are opened by the water utility to take a reading with the meters outside in a pit?

Because of the cold weather here in the winter all of our meters are inside and the water utility attempts to do one staff reading over the summer. The customer is sent a mailed request to call in the other 3 quarterly ones. To prod people into doing a reading if you don't call a reading in, you get an estimated bill that is usually on the high side so the customer will give a reading to get an adjusted bill.
                    They were pullin covers N reading meters in our hood last week

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      PS , I love COOKIES !
                      he likes cvs stool softeners, too
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

THANK YOU for all the spirited replies! I discovered that this in-ground water meter cover looks a lot more secure than it really is, which is a good thing as it may discourage curiosity seekers. It only took a slot head screwdriver to lift up the pin in the slot, just as toolaholic advised. The cover is lightweight plastic and came right off.

My next challenge is trying to determine why the meter is registering a slow rate of water flow while my condo unit water shut-off value is turned off. The meter registered 0.6 cubic feet (approx. 4 gallons) of water flow over a 30 minute test period.

I'll contact my local water dept tomorrow and talk it over with them. My recent bill was twice my average usage and I don't see/hear any leaks. I'm even suspicious of diversion since new water sprinklers were installed next to my unit a couple months ago. My HOA is responsible for maintaining the outside plumbing, so I have a couple parties to deal with to get this figured out.
                        Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Get some colored food die at safeway. put in the toilet holding tank. 30 minutes later there should be clear water still in pot. Otherwise You need a new flapper flush valve. Marin water district adds clorimine to disinfect our water. the side affect is it eats rubber O rings and flapper valves. If this is a bad flapper valve send price receipt with letter blaming the additive, You'll get a credit.
                          Chocalate chip is My favorite ! Tool

Comment

Leak Found

There is a leak in the line just below the backflow valve. In the attached photo, the water is dripping from the elbow.

My HOA is responsible to maintain the external plumbing, so they will take care of it. And the water company offered to credit my billing account with a "Leak Adjustment", something they make available to a customer once every three years.

Well, that explains everything!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Re: Leak Found

If You found this Yourself, You're not average !

Comment

Working...
                              X