routing sanitary sewer on the outside of a house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing sanitary sewer on the outside of a house

I am building a laundry room and bathroom in a well insulated 2nd story porch in a stone house. The wall into the house is 3 ft thick. So, routing the 3" PVC sanitary drain through the wall isn't practical. I plan to rout it down along the outside wall into an existing opening into the basement.

I live in Pittsburgh where the winter temperatures are often below freezing. Can I safely do this without having it freeze?

Re: routing sanitary sewer on the outside of a house

vertical drains dont typically freeze. try to get some heat from the forced air or a boiler line in that space. i dont think you can heat tape it safely without a possibility of melting the pvc.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

How are You going to keep water lines from freezing ? You say 2nd story porch . Is the space below the 2 nd story open to the wind, or enclosed , heated, and insulated ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

more than likely it will not freeze unless you have a small drip, as the water is warmer, and it is dumped in a quantity,

when ever I have had problems, is when it is seldom used with just small amounts of water, and there is little volume or a drip that it can over come and freeze, most old trailer houses have there main line exposed, (it may be skirted but it is not heated),

I had a line some what similar and was for a wash sink and the clothes washer, we never had a problem even tho the line was either exposed to the elements or above the frost line, when we had the washer on the line no problems at all as the washer would melt any accumulated ice out, when I moved the washer at wife's request, and the sink was only used for occasional hand washing and brushing teeth, I had a freeze up as there was not enough volume of water to thaw and not freeze before the end of the line, ( did work around that problem by filling the sink and using warm water and dumping a quantity of water ever few days,

and if the line is graded correctly it will help a lot as well, that is my two cents,
        Last edited by BHD; 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have never done this. But, your comment agrees with my thinking and it is logical. It will be a 3" drain with lots of slope. If I have a problem with freezing I can try the heat tape and/or wrap it with insulation and box it in.

Comment

Working...
          X