Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleanout 13-1/4" above floor behind refrigerator? Or refrigerator drain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanout 13-1/4" above floor behind refrigerator? Or refrigerator drain?

Moved elderly neighbor's 36" wide refrigerator out to clean everything.
    In the wall behind it is the water valve for the icemaker/water dispenser and a 1-1/2" PVC cleanout plug.
    Behind the refrigerator wall is her powderoom toilet.

Did some refrigerators have a drain for their water dispensers?

Should I replace her 12-year-old water hose?
    Should it be the metal braided hose?
    Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Cleanout 13-1/4" above floor behind refrigerator? Or refrigerator drain?

probably a cleanout for the wc, but it should be bigger than 1.5''.

replace the hose to ss and be glad its still holding.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Cleanout 13-1/4" above floor behind refrigerator? Or refrigerator drain?

If theres an island sink might be foot vent...

Comment

Re: Cleanout behind refrigerator. (She has an island sink!)

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
        If theres an island sink might be foot vent...
        Would a vent have a cleanout?
        I recall that her sink/dishwasher drain is 2-inch. In the unfinished basement ceiling, a 2-inch cleanout is directly in line with that sink drain's horizontal run.

I'd rather wide-sweep that cleanout pipe up and have the plug in the bottom of the sink cabinet. Much easier to clean than to reach up to the basement ceiling.

(When I added a second floor to my little house, I installed a wide-sweep 3-inch wye in the 3-inch vent behind the powderoom toilet. The 3-inch pipe terminates with a cap on the outside wall, 24 inches above the ground.
        No need to take a rooter into the house. Also installed an outdoor outlet nearby to power the rooter.
        Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-21-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Re: Cleanout behind refrigerator. (She has an island sink!)

Originally posted by robert gift View Post
          would a vent have a cleanout?
          I recall that her sink/dishwasher drain is 2-inch. In the unfinished basement ceiling, a 2-inch cleanout is directly in line with that sink drain's horizontal run.

I'd rather wide-sweep that cleanout pipe up and have the plug in the bottom of the sink cabinet. Much easier to clean than to reach up to the basement ceiling.

(when i added a second floor to my little house, i installed a wide-sweep 3-inch wye in the 3-inch vent behind the powderoom toilet. The 3-inch pipe terminates with a cap on the outside wall, 24 inches above the ground.
          No need to take a rooter into the house. Also installed an outdoor outlet nearby to power the rooter.
          yes but was it a gfi outlet?

I WOULD THINK THAT THE CLEAN OUT IS FOR THE LAV AND/OR SHOWER NEXT DOOR
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Re: She has an island sink!

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
            I WOULD THINK THAT THE CLEAN OUT IS FOR THE LAV AND/OR SHOWER NEXT DOOR
            yes but was it a gfi outlet?
            Now you tell me!
            I think the rooter outlet is on the GFIed circuit to two or three other outdoor outlets which I installed on the old house.
            (Probably had to be to pass inspection.)
            But the inspector may not have seen or expected an outlet on that side of the house.

The behind-refrigerator cleanout is not near anything. The powderoom sink is even farther away from it than the toilet. No shower or bathroom on the first floor.
            Will have to go back with a flashlight and look when I bring her Christmyth tree up from her basement.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-23-2013, 07:24 AM.

Comment

It would be for something draining down the wall from 2nd floor then
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                It would be for something draining down the wall from 2nd floor then
                Thank you.
                Well, just below it is the basement open ceiling where a cleanout could be easily accessible. (A 2" cleanout into the kitchen sink's horizontal run is near.)
                That's why I thought it may be for a refrigerator drain - though I have never seen a refrigerator with a drain.
                Will have to look.

Comment

Working...
                X