Need New Water Heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Water Heater

Our water heater has started leaking for the second time. First time it was the cheapo plastic drain, I replaced it with a brass one five years ago. MFR date is 1991, house was built in '93. It's a Rheem, Rheemglas Fury, mod 21V40s-2. Need your opinion on what brand/model to replace it with. I don't want the high-tech models with all the fancy doo-dads, I just want an old-fashioned water heater that's reliable and economical.

Thanks,
    "Doc"
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Re: Need New Water Heater

Comparable Rheem or Bradford White should be fine.

Comment

Bad news. Your warranty ran out about 15 years ago.

Good news the new heaters will last about a month beyond warranty.

The new heaters I believe required throughout the entire country is a fvir/ flammable vapor ignition resistant. Out here its 1 step eyond that with ultra lo nox and is ultra more expensive.

Shouldn't be much of an issue if the heater cabinet stays lint free.

Honestly the standard residential heaters are pretty much like shopping for a car. Are you a ford, chevy or dodge man?

At 1 time everything out here was an american appliance heater. That's because the plant was local in santa monica. Now they're in Tennessee and it seems like Rheem stepped into their spot. But there's still bradford, american, ao smith and of course all the tankless designs.

Stick with a tank, but don't think you'll get another 20 years out of it.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        Are you a ford, chevy or dodge man?
        For what it's worth, Dodge.

Most of the folks around here are pushing GE and/or AO Smith. I just want one that A) doesn't break the bank and B) doesn't leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          For what it's worth, Dodge.

Most of the folks around here are pushing GE and/or AO Smith. I just want one that A) doesn't break the bank and B) doesn't leak.
          DO NOT install A.O. Smith, State, or anything else coming out of Ashland TN.

Comment

I'd shy away from the American poo-poo tanks too. just my personal preference based on the fact that any hack can buy it at a big box store.

I think some power vent models still dont have fvir safety yet.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I have been installing and servicing water heaters for 33 years. For a basic 40 gallon water heater I strongly recommend Bradford-White. B-W honors their warranty without hassle and their water heater last long after the warranty. General Electric is the worst, and I'm not wild about Richmond.

Comment

I like my Bradford White it's a basic model the quality is good. Water heaters they seem to be hit or miss with any brand heater. I think water quality is a big factor with life expectancy.

Comment

Check all your suppliers for any dented heaters they would like to unload but can't due to cosmetic damage. Who cares what it looks like just as long as it works?

Comment

Originally posted by bobsplumbing View Post
                    do not install a.o. Smith, state, or anything else coming out of Ashland TN.
                    A O Smith Mfg's all A O Smith,State,Reliance,Sears Kenmore,American,Proline,Whirlpool,WTR/HTRS That have a problem with the lint screen clogging up too soon

Rheem Mfg's Ruud,Richmond, and GE WTR/HTRS

Bradford White Mfg's Bradford White To only be Installed by Professional Plumbers & Lochinvar WTR/HTRS
                    Last edited by JERRYMAC; 11-30-2013, 11:59 AM.
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

A.O. smith bought Lochinvar. They are no longer manufactured by Bradford

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                      A O Smith Mfg's all A O Smith,State,Reliance,Sears Kenmore,American,Proline,Whirlpool,WTR/HTRS That have a problem with the lint screen clogging up too soon

Rheem Mfg's Ruud,Richmond, and GE WTR/HTRS

Bradford White Mfg's Bradford White To only be Installed by Professional Plumbers & Lochinvar WTR/HTRS
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Google "anode rode". Every tank water heater has one. Few plumbers offer to flush tanks and check them. The rate of wear directly relates to tank longevity.

Comment

As it's been awhile since you replaced your WH, suggest you check your local code to see if they now require a Thermal Expansion Tank. If required, that would be an additional item & cost. I only mention this because it happened to me.

Comment

Surely the OP has replaced his heater by now.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                              Surely the OP has replaced his heater by now.

David
                              Yep. Rheem 40gal short, new expansion tank (old one was ruptured), upgraded gas supply (old one was 3/8), new ball valve on the outlet (for some reason, the old one had a gate valve), new T&P plumbing, install & haul away - $850.00
                              I'm pleased.

Comment

Working...
                              X