X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residental well pump

Hey guys , not to familiar with wells , just a inner city plumber , but anyway the question I have is how to boost the pressure on the pump , the incoming pressure is 40psi and the switch is a 40 psi switch . Can I just swap out the switch with a 60 or higher swith to build the pressure ? The pressure tank is rated for 120 psi .

Re: residental well pump

one can tweak normally the pressure switch on most wells, under the cover, and there should be a direction sheet in the cover, the large screw and a smaller one, one is the main setting and the second is the differential of on and off,

http://www.sta-rite.com/resources/images/13433.pdf

Adjusting Well Pump Pressure Switches

If one wants major change, most likely changing to the next preset unit is best,

on many wells, the problem gets blamed on the pressure, when the real problem is the flow or capacity of the well, they want the washing machine the dish washer and to take a shower all at once, and the well just does not have the gallons per min of flow, and thus the pressure drops, and it is not a pressure problem,

by changing the pressure (I think) one needs to check the depth and the manufactures specifications, and see if the pump is designed to pump at the higher pressures, or head, some are marginal in HP or rating to be pushing more psi, for the depth and other factors, and by upping the psi one will normally cut gallons per min, as well.

I know one family who was having pressure problems, as when grandma watered her garden there was no pressure, so they went out to the well house and cranked up the switch to near 100 psi, and all they did was tear up there plumbing with the higher static pressures, as when the flow was going they still had only 10 to 15 psi,

on my farm things like the stock tanks that would open up to full flow when the cattle came up and dropped the psi on the system, I solved by valving the tank and cutting the flow some in to the tank, and it allowed the rest of the system to keep a higher psi,
    one some toilets closing the valve a little can help in the shower and so on,

I read on here of the new water systems having 1" or larger mains and 3/4" trunk lines, and pressures in the 60 and 70 psi,

and at times we run on a gravity feed system of less than 7 pounds and with the jet pump pressurizing out of the storage tank we may get 30 psi, with some fluctuations, (before running bath water you check to see if the clothes washer is on or not), on all the faucets you try to take out the flow restrictors, so one can get more than a trickle of water out of them,

when some of the system is over 100 years old one can not expect city type water, of modern, IMO

MY Two Cents,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Most switches are adjustable. If it's a Square D (or a knockoff) just turn the nut on the taller spring clockwise a few turns and see if the pump will make it. If the customer has a bladder tank, you should keep the air pressure in the tank two pounds less than the cut in pressure of the pump.

You can go to my FAQ page and read all about tanks and switches. It will save me a lot of typing. FAQ's
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

one more thing, you said the water tank was 120 psi or so,
        some pumps have a safety relief valve on the system, so if the pressure switch sticks or what ever, one may want to check the rating of it if it has one, (looks some what like a T&P valve on a hot water heater) but only pressure, one may want to check the rating on it if it has one, seems like ours is in the 6o to 70 psi range, (we have a submersible pump),

Well Tank Pressure Relief Valves - FreshWaterSystems.com
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

all diaphragm pressure tanks are designed for a 20 psi differential. any more will stretch the bladder excessively and too little will short cycle the pump.

drop the pressure to 0 psi in the system (empty all the water). reset tank pressure to 2-3 psi LESS than the cut-in pressure of the new switch. doing this ensures that the switch will engage and the pump will recover water faster than when the tank drops to equivalent 0 pressure.

captive air tanks are much harder to regulate and maintain. if you have one of these it may be better to upgrade the tank to a diaphragm style. The diaphragm style tank should be sized to allow a minimum of 2 minute pump run time for whatever the flow (gpm) of your pump is.

most newer pumps are 1/2 hp and can push in excess of 100 psi over 150 feet up. some older 1/3 HP pumps are marginal for pressure and flow. jet pumps (non-submersible and usually located near the tank) are similar but have a much slower flow rate and come in shallow (one pipe) and deep (2 pipe) setups.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Alot of good information ! Thanks alot

Comment

Awesome Thanks alot

Comment

Great and thank you .... also funny as hell on the stevie and Ray , my teachers in plumbing school

Comment

Working...
                X