Turning off water main

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning off water main

I have natural gas FHW heat, I have a 2 year old Burnham Alpine 95% efficient boiler, when I go away I turn off the water main, just in case. Am I doing the right thing, And if so how long can you leave the water off before the boiler calls for more water?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Turning off water main

Your boiler is set up with a valve to supply make up water . It can't function when You shut off the main. I'd say No . Lets see what the
    HVAC experts say. PS I use to live on the Cape . Is that Brewster Mass ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Being that new it should have a low water cutoff switch. If the water is off and water were lost from the system, it Should shut everything down.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Oh, and to answer your question, once all of the air is bled from the system, barring a problem of some sort, it really shouldn't draw water again.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

forced hot water once filled, in an ideal system, requires no more makeup water. makeup water is in fact bad for a boiler. if there are no leaks, shutting of the boiler supply IN ADDITION to shutting off the main supply will have no adverse affect. you have a low water cutoff, so any major water loss will shut down your boiler.

if you travel for more than 3-4 days at a time consider installing glycol in the boiler water. it is corrosive to anything not stainless steel but if the boiler fails, the pipes will not burst.

only boilers/pipes that leak or are steam based will call for additional water.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Your boiler is set up with a valve to supply make up water . It can't function when You shut off the main. I'd say No . Lets see what the
            HVAC experts say. PS I use to live on the Cape . Is that Brewster Mass ?
            Yes Brewster, Ma

Comment

" There was once a ROOSTER from BREWSTER " HE HE
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                makeup water is in fact bad for a boiler.
                It's not the water that's bad for the boiler, it's the oxygen in the water.

Comment

Working...
                X