X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX for dishwasher supply?

I pulled out the dishwasher to do some work on the kitchen island. Despite being careful when putting it back in, I wasn't careful enough and kinked the copper supply line. I would like to replace the line with PEX and I'm wondering if it is a good idea. The supply looks like a double angle stop and I haven't disconnected the dishwasher end yet but it looks like the same fitting. I plan on taking the copper line to Home Depot to get the parts. I want to use PEX because of the difficulty of running copper with all the bends I have to make for the connections. Good idea?
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: PEX for dishwasher supply?

I've hooked up a LOT of dishwashers with pex, use the appropriate ferrules, and it is a pretty durable install.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Not common out here to see pex on a supply line.

In the last 15 years stainless steel braided water flexes 3/8" compression has taken over.

When I was doing all new construction, all I used was 3/8" copper with a figure 69, 3/8" mip x comp 90. Now there are 3/4" garden hose thread valves under some of the machines.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The garden hose connector is extremely common here. I despise it. Dissimilar material undergoing heat/cool cycles on a nice wide coarse thread, in my opinion it will be a lawsuit.

Here in Missouri the braided supplies are most common, back doing new work in NC we used 1/4" wirsbo. Which with a delrin ferrule works quite well in a 3/8" compression fitting.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Use a stainless steel braided supply line. I always hated copper supplies, especially when the city of Atlanta required 1/2" od pipe.

David

Comment

Problem I have seen with ss supply lines in kitchen cabinets, dishwashers are the cleaning products stored inside the cabinets are gasssing out and attacking the ss braid. Amonia is very corrosive to stainless. The braid corrodes and the hose pops. Not super common as a washing machine hose burst, but not all uncommon.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I went with PEX and everything went very well. I was tempted to go with the stainless braid but I saw some posts from 2007 about the effects of cleaning supplies on the braid. And Rick posted again about the corrosion problems. I really like how easy working with PEX is compared to copper. I did notice that the ID of the PEX looked smaller than the copper. Do dishwashers fill on time or on volume. If it's a timed fill I guess I will be using less water. Hope that doesn't affect the cleaning.

Comment

combination of a maximum cycle fill time and also a float switch once full.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Looks like I'll be okay. I ran a couple of dishwasher cycles and all seems normal.

Comment

I can honestly say I have never seen a SS braided flex blow out for any reason. I've seen the plastic ones get large. All I do is service work, for over 26 years, and in three different states and I've never seen it happen. I would have used the braided flex.

Comment

not very common, but it does happen and I've been to several jobs with blowouts.

remember that under the stainless braid is a pretty lightweight hose. similar to an innertube inside a tire. without the braid, the hose will swell and pop. also the damaged ss braid will pop the hose.

we know that ammonia and chlorine will attack the ss braid. also soldering flux will too.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X