X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just curious...

...what is the proper description of this type of fitting? it usually is found on some utility sink faucets and other applications shower head (some) or handheld shower end. some have a rubber gasket or just a rounded dome made of copper or brass as in the case of the utility faucets and is a female connector. it allows the fitting to be screwed on just by turning the nut instead of rotating the entire hose (like with the shower hose). like I said I'm curious.

Re: just curious...

Sounds like you are describing a compression fitting. We, as electricians also use them.

Comment

compression fitting sounds about right. the domed shaped fittings could be flares, a type of compression fitting.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps0ee322a8.jpg
        ...I didn't describe it correctly. the top nut is what I was referring to in this pic...
        Attached Files

Comment

That is a diverter. It looks like one designed to go on the end of a shower arm. It diverts between a fixed head and hand shower hose.

Comment

...thanks I know that's a diverter but I'm referring to the nut connection that threads on to the shower arm that has a rubber gasket in the fitting, similar to a garden hose female end that threads on to the faucet outside a home.
            Last edited by halfpint; 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Swivel nut.
              Captive nut.
              Union connection.

I looked this type of connector up on a few faucet manufacturer sites, opened spec and parts pdf's and came up with zilch.

Comment

Swivel nut.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  Swivel nut.

...makes sense, it does swivel.... and thanks.

Comment

Also, if you look at the packaging a pex adapter comes in, it actually lists itself as "non swivel" for whatever that is worth.
                    Originally posted by halfpint View Post
                    ...makes sense, it does swivel.... and thanks.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                    X