Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best brand of under-the-counter reverse osmosis system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best brand of under-the-counter reverse osmosis system?

The people on Amazon love the Tap Master, but it's $420.
    Any other suggestions?

Re: Best brand of under-the-counter reverse osmosis system?

Why do you need RO?

Comment

Nitrates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
        Nitrates.
        Aquapurion has a 3-stage filter pack for nitrates for around $50. U.S. Water Systems sells r.o. Systems starting at $150.

Comment

Any other suggestions?
          Usually "best" does not equate to "cheap".
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Any other suggestions?
            Get hooked up with Home
            5 Stage complete about $120.00

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              Usually "best" does not equate to "cheap".
              I'm looking for the best brand (reputation, parts availablity, etc.), but not necessarily the top-of-the-line, fanciest "Cadillac" system.
              I like Cheesehead's suggestion of U.S. Water Systems: excellent website with a broad range of models. Anyone ever installed or serviced one?

Comment

...consumer reports recommends Coway P-07QL approximately 640 bucks.

Comment

Before you buy any odd brand name [cheap models] osmosis system verify
                  you can get service and replacement filters!

Home Depot and Lowe's also carry reverse osmosis units!

You may want to contact say Culligan to come out and demonstrate their
                  reverse osmosis system..they will then test your water to determine exactly what
                  is required for safe fresh water.

Initially we rented a Culligan osmosis system but have owned it now for over 25 years.
                  with routine maintenance and regular filter changes we still have the original
                  membrane and it works great..without osmosis the particulates run around 525ppm
                  hot VS cold water varies!!! With the osmosis water particulates are around 35-42ppm!!!

What type of plumbing pipe does your home have?
                  When we re-plumbed from galvanized pipe to Wisbro-Pex our water quality
                  increased precipitously.

Cactus Man

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                    NHMaster3015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You call Culligan and you can expect to pay well over a grand or so

I'm not a plumber, but a very happy owner if the culligan RO system. I have had it for 5 years and it works like a charm. If I ever move, I will have a new installed in whatever house I buy. It was here when I bought the house, so it's about 10 years old in total.

It has never leaked, filter changes are easy, and the water is top notch. My PPM count is about 15.

I had an issue with the dedicated faucet, and I brought it to my culligan dealer. No questions asked, he gave me a new one at no charge.

Would def go culligan again.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post

I had an issue with the dedicated faucet, and I brought it to my culligan dealer. No questions asked, he gave me a new one at no charge.

Would def go culligan again.

Many manufacturers have problems with the dedicated faucets, even the hot water makers. They tend to leak by the handle/trip lever. The problem with RO is that it will pick up any metal or other deposit on any unlined or chemically reactive faucet.

I've heard that Culligan is a proprietary system, at least their softeners and filters are. Is this also true of their RO systems? (do standard big-box store replacements fit it?)
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      Many manufacturers have problems with the dedicated faucets, even the hot water makers. They tend to leak by the handle/trip lever. The problem with RO is that it will pick up any metal or other deposit on any unlined or chemically reactive faucet.

I've heard that Culligan is a proprietary system, at least their softeners and filters are. Is this also true of their RO systems? (do standard big-box store replacements fit it?)
                      Don't know about the proprietary issue. I have never tried to replace it with a box store faucet. It is an air gap faucet, however, if that makes a difference.

Comment

I went with Cheesehead's suggestion of U.S. Water Systems. The directions were excellent, so the install was easy for this carpenter to handle. Every run of tubing was a different color, so it was really idiot-proof. It wasn't cheap at $320, but the components are quality and the water tests came back great. The first one I installed fit under the sink cabinet, but took up almost all the space under there. The second one I put in the basement and ran the filtered water line up through the floor to the sink and that's the way to do it. U.S. Water Systems customer service was really good.

Comment

Working...
                        X