X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining and venting a 3 bay sink

I'd like to install a 3 bay stainless steel sink in my basement. The sink currently has the drain assemblies that screw into each bay's drain hole, but nothing else. This page shows a stainless drain assembly that looks like it would fit, but my question is: would it work in my situation?

There is currently a small plastic wash tub in the location this will go. Assuming the height of the tailpiece after the new trap is close to the current one, will I be ok? The existing drain goes into a vertical stack that vents through the roof.

Re: Draining and venting a 3 bay sink

This should work but what I normally do is build a PVC based drain system. 1-1/2" female thread X insert adapters should thread directly onto the basin adapters. Tees will then glue to the female adapters. The end tee gets a cleanout/plug. It's a little tricky sometimes to get the next piece of pipe and tee measured and glued in. At the end you can adapt a chrome trap or build a pvc trap. I use tees at each end of the trap and put cleanout plugs at the top of the trap for easy cleaning. Then attach to the existing drain.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My current setup has a trap that resembles a canister, made from what looks like PVC. Assuming I can leave that and everything south of it intact, I might be able to tie the horizontal after the third drain into it? So it would be, from left to right: elbow, horizontal, tee, horizontal, tee, horizontal, then the canister trap I have.

Also, faucet question: The current faucet has the hot and cold ports that look like they're 8 inches apart. The holes in the back of the sink are about 12 inches apart. Between the faucet and the back of the sink are these adapters that look like stubby cranks...they look like they correct spacing situations like this. Both these are cracked. What are they called, and where can I get new ones? I do not know the brand of the faucet, no markings I can see. I can post a pic if that helps.

Comment

A drum trap? has a cover that screws on? i dont think they're code anymore. Check in your jurisdiction to see if they still allow them. if they do, your connection to it should be no problem as you describe it.

the faucet is a standard 8 commercial setup. the stubby cranks allow you to center and adapt to the holes in the back of the basin wall. they come with whatever faucet you purchase. chicago brass is one manufacturer i deal with a lot.
        ~~

Comment

What I am seeing is scaring me. The part appears to be called an "Offset Inlet Supply Arm" and they run about $50 a piece!

But then I see this "Regency FW814 Low Lead Wall Mount Faucet with 8" Centers and 14" Swing Spout" for $47. Add a couple fittings for the back and it looks like I'll have what I need. Not running a restaurant, just need a basic faucet that fits.

BTW, re-measured: the holes are 8" apart and the faucet has 3.5".

edit: The trap is a cylinder about the size of a large can of Bush's Baked Beans. The tub vertical drain pipe goes to a 90 and enters the side toward the bottom edge, a screw cap is on the bottom face, and there is a horizontal exit on the side toward the top edge.
          Last edited by JoePolvino; 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Heh heh... that's why I suggested another faucet. You can buy multiple faucets for what those arms cost.

This is what a modern PVC drum trap looks like:

An older drum trap would have a screw lid and a solid base.

I'd install this one upside down so that when the plug is removed a big farking mess isnt created.
            ~~

Comment

Working...
            X