Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do i have a fixture or hot water tank problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i have a fixture or hot water tank problem?

...my brother was in the shower the other day and all of a sudden he only had cold water! the hot stopped being hot so he figured maybe the pilot went out.

after the cold shower, he ran the sink, but not for an hour or so, and It had hot water. I'm leaning toward a fixture problem but I'd like to know your thoughts and recommendations....thanks much for any and all comments!

Re: do i have a fixture or hot water tank problem?

probably a stuck anti-scald apparatus inside the faucet fixture. They can be separate items or part of the cartridge. a broken dip tube in a hot water tank usually doesnt run cold instantly... more of a gradual decline.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The plumbers on this site are real pros, and can probably help you, BUT, they will need a little more info. What other things might have used hot water before his shower? i.e. dishwasher, wash machine, other showers etc. How big is the water heater? Gas or oil? what type of shower fixture is it? And anything else you can think of that might help give a better pic of your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
        probably a stuck anti-scald apparatus inside the faucet fixture. They can be separate items or part of the cartridge. a broken dip tube in a hot water tank usually doesnt run cold instantly... more of a gradual decline.

...it is a separate handle shower. would these have the anti-scald feature also? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
          The plumbers on this site are real pros, and can probably help you, BUT, they will need a little more info. What other things might have used hot water before his shower? i.e. dishwasher, wash machine, other showers etc. How big is the water heater? Gas or oil? what type of shower fixture is it? And anything else you can think of that might help give a better pic of your problem.

...none of the appliances you've mentioned were used prior to showering. the heater is a gas 40 gallon 5 year old. not aware of the brand of shower.

Comment

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
            ...it is a separate handle shower. would these have the anti-scald feature also? thanks.
            not typically. pulling the cover plate or access panel would tell for sure.
            ~~

Comment

a water saving head or a hand held shower can also cause mixing issues if the pressures are not similar.

if he shut off the cold shower handle, did the water ever turn hot in the shower?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

if he shut off the cold shower handle, did the water ever turn hot in the shower?

...I asked him that and he said no it didn't change to hot. he later turned on just the hot and it came out hot.

Comment

either a plugged balancer or a plugged hot water inlet.
                  ~~

Comment

...the brand is a sterling. was used since the problem and currently there's NO problem. go figure!

Comment

Working...
                    X