coupling questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coupling questions

There are different descriptions about the coupling like the following. What are the differences?

1. 1" copper coupling with stop;
    2. 1" copper C x C coupling with stop;
    3. 1" copper pressure C x C coupling with stop;
    4. 1" copper ring coupling;

Which one I should use for my hot water heating piping?

why the coupling without stop is more expensive than with stop?

Re: coupling questions

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
    There are different descriptions about the coupling like the following. What are the differences?

1. 1" copper coupling with stop;
    2. 1" copper C x C coupling with stop;
    3. 1" copper pressure C x C coupling with stop;
    4. 1" copper ring coupling;

Which one I should use for my hot water heating piping?

why the coupling without stop is more expensive than with stop?
    All four couplings will function the same. The first three are identical, number four just uses a different type of stop. A no stop coupling is made for repairs so that you can slide the coupling past where a stop would be and then back.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ive questioned the pricing numerous times and all they tell me is supply and demand.

I too am amazed that a coupling without the stop is 2x the price. heck, before it goes to the dimpling machine, pull it and sell it for the same price. it's 1 less step it needs.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Many times I've filed the stop and created my own slip coupling. Mostly just to thumb my nose at the manufacturers that charge more for less work.

David

Comment

I don't bother with the couplings less the stop. I just get a sweat union for those jobs that I do not have the play on the pipe.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            I don't bother with the couplings less the stop. I just get a sweat union for those jobs that I do not have the play on the pipe.
            Excellent option in those situations.

David

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              ive questioned the pricing numerous times and all they tell me is supply and demand.

I too am amazed that a coupling without the stop is 2x the price. heck, before it goes to the dimpling machine, pull it and sell it for the same price. it's 1 less step it needs.

rick.
              No doubt that is exactly what happens, but that doesn't mean they are going to sell it for less.
              You want a slip coupling you're gonna pay mister, and like it!

It's like not adding lead to gasoline to make unleaded gas and charging more for it.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

if I need a slip I don't care how much it cost

Comment

You use the best fittings for the situation, cost is insignificant. The end results justify the means or am I not a Professional

Comment

The complaint is the fact it cost nothing extra to produce a slip coupling, actually it should cost less as it's 1 less step in production. Yet in the popular sizes 1/2"-2" the cost is about double. Yet in the not so popular sizes 2.5"-4" the cost is the same.

Doesn't make much sense other than ripping us off.

I keep inventory of copper fittings on 2 full shelving units in the shop plus in the van. So paying 2x the price for a fitting is a cost that hits you sitting on stock.

A simple swedging tool can easily smooth out the dimples if need be..

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Actually, there's an extra step a put in a dimple or ring. I think the cost is due to two conditions.
                      1)They don't sell near as many stopless couplings
                      2) To avoid the stop involves retooling, which is a cost that has to be spread over the entire batch.
                      The difference in price is a bit excessive (`1/2" coupling w/stop 1.16 list, 1/2" coupling less stop 1.54 list). But, the marketplace has the optoin to refuse to buy them.

Comment

with respect Rick when have we ever been considered in the argument. We are the simpletons that just fork out whatever they decide to charge us. Yes one would suggest there is a valid argument here that the slip is easier to make but why would they be sensible with their prices.
                        Rick I am like you and keep lots of different fittings. Would nearly have a years school fees in brass alone without touching the copper tube and fittings. not long started with pro-press and that gets interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X