bmaxxx...retired electrician

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmaxxx...retired electrician

I have a slide type float thats sticking in my bathroom toilet and preventing the tank from refilling. Is there an easy fix for this or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Re: bmaxxx...retired electrician

Fluidmaster?

Comment

Fluidmaster is the most common ballcock out there. Could be grit between the float and shank. Could be rotting, swolen plastic. Honestly the cost of a new fluidmaster is $7.00 plus a new water flex, $4.00, and a new flapper $6.00.

The cost of good help, priceless

Post a photo of the inner tank and we can walk you through it. Even for an electrician, its a 10 minute job.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        Even for an electrician, its a 10 minute job.

Maybe more, if he adds wiring to "make it work better".
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Fluidmaster is the most common ballcock out there. Could be grit between the float and shank. Could be rotting, swolen plastic. Honestly the cost of a new fluidmaster is $7.00 plus a new water flex, $4.00, and a new flapper $6.00.

The cost of good help, priceless

Post a photo of the inner tank and we can walk you through it. Even for an electrician, its a 10 minute job.

Rick.
          I`m always hearing the word flapper what is a flapper Rick

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            I`m always hearing the word flapper what is a flapper

~~

Comment

a flapper might also be known as a tank ball, flush ball, toilet flapper, flush valve seal.

what do you call the seal that allows the water into the tank when you flush?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

what do you call the seal that allows the water into the tank when you flush?
                Cistern outlet valve is the same as a flush valve, I think.
                Last edited by Big Jim; 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM.

Comment

what do you call the seal that allows the water into the bowl when you flush?

rick.

there, i fixed it for you
                  ~~

Comment

Just couldn't resist the electrician jab huh Rick. It's not a money issue it just seems like when ever I attempt a plumbing repair of any kind it's a minimum of 3 trips to home depot before i get exactly the right fittings etc. to do the job. You guys have way too many thread size varieties on your finish material for me to get it right the first time. Anyway I'll give it a go, thanks for your response. Bill M. Due to the state of the economy and the ever increasing cost of fuels we regret to inform you that the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Comment

best bet would be to take the ballcock, flapper and water flex to your local hardware store and match them up. some flappers are common and some not. the water flex you have being in calif. is probably a 1/2'' slip joint x ballcock nut x 12'' length. seems like the rest of the country would be a 3/8'' compression x ballcock x 12'' .

bring in the flapper and water flex to match it up and you'll save the 3 trips.

you could take a photo of the inner tank parts and it's easily id.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Tony AFM, we got another Electrician that has wasted his career. They all want to be Plumbers at some stage of their lives don't they...........!!!!
                        heheheeheheheheeheeeeeee...................

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post

Thats exactly what I was thinking about when I asked Rick but didn`t think it was appropriate

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            Hey Tony AFM, we got another Electrician that has wasted his career. They all want to be Plumbers at some stage of their lives don't they...........!!!!
                            heheheeheheheheeheeeeeee...................
                            not so much wasted a career but always willing to learn new things!
                            my navy chief used to say thats what happens when you have more brains than air in your head

all kidding aside tradesman specialize in the things that interest them the most and fear the least.
                            things we make look simple tends to hide the fact that there's a lot more to our trades than others realize.
                            I have a lot of respect for other trades besides my own.
                            Last edited by gnuuser; 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM.
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X