Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teflon Tape, Running threads, Iron pipe threads

Hello,

I am teaching a class to some homeowners for fix a leak week, and one of the questions that came up last year was about when and when not to use teflon tape. For 24 years, I have been putting tape and dope on iron pipe threads (tapered) and only dope on running threads (like on compression angle stops, etc.) The reason I use both, is that I have had a greater success of it holding pressure, and the reason I don't use it on compression fittings or when putting water heater flex lines is that it can actually cause the nuts to crack. I also do not use any teflon on the water heater gas valve. What are your thoughts on this? I am not changing my methods, but just curious.

Thanks,
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Re: Teflon Tape, Running threads, Iron pipe threads

After putting on litterally 100, 000+ compression stops, I found that a simple toilet bowl wax was the best lubricant for chrome plated compression stops. Works then and 30 years later when they need to be removed. The wax lubricates the fine threads and keeps them from seizing. Takes way less torque to tighten.

An interesting fact. I was doing a job last week at my dentist house and he was telling me he uses teflon tape to fill the void on implants and the post they sit on. They use to use a cotton packing but found that balled up teflon was a much better filler. Not sure if I explained it properly, but I'll see him later this week and take notes.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

IMO do not use Teflon tape on any thing that has small orifices and such down stream, usally the problem is not in the first install but in the removal and reinstall as the threads of tape will get into the workings, on hydraulic fixtures it will mess them up good,

and on most flare type nuts I usually do not use any thing, the nut is not the seal the flare is. brass in theory is self lubricating, (they make bearing out of it) like rick said wax or a drop of oil would possibly be beneficial, (I guess the way I see it if you need that much torque to tighten the flare to seal then there is some thing wrong, (the old JIC hydraulic fittings hold 2000+ psi easily, brake lines in cars the same), and you should not need a gorilla to tighten them.

and in general a good Teflon containing dope seems to me to work as good any thing, in most instances,

I have the tape and do use it from time to time, I find the yellow gas tape thicker better most of the time, than the thin white stuff usually causes some problems before it is said and done, (maybe being a farmer I just do not know how to tape some thing, and baling wire dose not work either ,
      Last edited by BHD; 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I always put a few wraps of tape around every ferrel before I tighten it down

Comment

IMHO only

Stick the yellow Teflon where the sun don't shine. Gas connections on HWS - Loctite brass to the aluminium. Definitely use white Teflon all the time. As far as dope or other, yeah sometimes but in the right situation. God this is a hard question as there are many views conflicting.

Oh, they have pink tape too, absolute bs. Something I haven't seen for many years is the silver tape for stainless steel. It felt real "lubricated" and I was told the best thing to use. Back then SS was more than two weeks wages and that was only the privilege of working with it. There was also a green Teflon at one stage but cant remember what for..............bugga..!!!

Comment

I have never bought or used Teflon tape on anything and consider it a homeowner/hack product that's pretty divisive ain't it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I have never bought or used Teflon tape on anything and consider it a homeowner/hack product that's pretty divisive ain't it.
              So you real don't know what your missing

Comment

Oh I'm probably missing a whole lot but I've been at this for closing in on 40 years and never once have I needed to wrap Teflon around anything.
                sigpic

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little insurance just saying

Take a lighter to some and make it shrivel up then pull it back into shape

Comment

Working...
                  X