Adjustable threader 504?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable threader 504?

first of all I am considering making some spokes for my old aermotor windmill and it take two odd sides threaded ends on the spokes the out side is 17/32-13 and the inside is 21/32-11 (I think) need to go remeasure, there 1/32 over standard bolt sizes,

(the windmill experts do not know if this was done to make you go back to aermotor or the odd sizes were not that uncommon, I read ford use 17/32 on the Model T,, it really does not matter the why but that is what it is,

so I have looked for dies of the odd size and I cannot find any, taps I can buy, or buy a replacement insert kind of like a helicoil on the hub,

the simple is I need or want or considering threading some over sized rod, first will either the 504A or the 811A head allow one to over size it by 1/32 of an inch?

looking at the ridged site, https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/pipe-and-bolt-die-heads
    for pipe and bolt dies the same dies will work for the 504A or the 811A

the 504A is hand held the 811A

and second on eBay all the units I see are only marked 504 not 504A (are they one and the same?) Ridgid M 504 Adjustable Pipe Threader 1" 1 1 4" 1 1 2" 2" | eBay

is the 504 in the picture a 504A? I guess most importantly will it take the same dies,

(on the die page I can not see a 503 head)

(I do not have a machine, I do have a lath I could possibly modify and use the 811A head,

there are 12 spokes, the current cost on them is about $60 to $75 each (depending on the vender), that comes to $720 to $900 if I buy them.

and that seems a little steep for 12 rods about 5 foot long threaded on each end, ( I have two old spokes I can get measurements off of,

there is a little more to them than a rod in that there is a center tab as well,
    but I plan on putting the together on the ground, and can either weld the tab in place (original ones were solid), or do what the company did in the picture and that drill out a short bolt and slide over and weld in place and make a time able unit,
    the spoke shown is made by, DAKOTA WINDMILL

questions again are,

1. will the 504a or the 811A cut threads that 1/32" over sized?

2. are the 504 and 504A one and the same, is the 504A marked with an "A".
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Adjustable threader 504?

not sure if the "A" means adjustable or not.

but the 811a will adjust to what ever you need over or under as the die head has a slot that allows for fine tuning of the threads. either tapered pipe or running machine threads.

not very familiar with the 504, but it looks like there is a sliding adjustment based on the ebay ad.

according to the ridgid catalog the part number you need for 1/2'' x 13tpi unc is 48235

the 5/8'' x 11tpi is 48245

both show they fit the 504a and 811a. along with the 711, 815a, 816, 817, and 911 die heads.

my suggestion is to find a plumber with a threader and buy the dies listed to fit his machine.

can't you just cut the threads on your lath?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I could cut the threads on the lathe, but if there is a problem and they would need to be recut it is not as easy as putting a die on and threading again, and I find cutting threads on the lathe, more difficult than desired, with a number of passes to cut the threads, and depending on the thread count if you do not get the leaver thrown in at the correct point you can mess up the thread very quickly, and mine some times does not always lock in as good as it should. on the correct dial setting.

the one lathe I do not have threading gears for, either, but it is older than the windmill, my guess is a 1880's, the "New one" is guessing 1930's I do have gears for threading on it and it may be the working option,

I was thinking the threading die would make it easier and faster,
      Last edited by BHD; 03-19-2014, 08:24 AM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes the dies would be the faster option.

Seems like it would be cheaper to find an adjustable die. The ones made for a plpe threader are designed for a pipe threader. Making a setup to hold tge diehead on a lathe would be pretty involved.

Rick.

A quick amazon search found this site. For under $35.00 you can get 2 adjustable dies.

https://www.suncoasttools.com/Produc...onalSizes.html
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: link.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The 504 is a quick opening the same as a 811. The 811a has a flowthru head. The 504 will take the dies of the 811 but the guide will not close to less then 1". The 502 is for 1/2 and 3/4 and i think will take the dies for the bolt die head.we have some used 504 and new 502 heads. I am in florida now and will be back in chicago friday untill wednesday marvin

Comment

The 502 and 504 are like the 816 and 817, I think. If you have an adjustable head, the dies telescope to whatever size you set them (as Rick mentioned). In fact, they get out of calibration when dropped for the 5000th time by ham fisted plumbers, so we're always adjusting the older ones. Do you have a template (a rod cut to the size you wish to duplcate)? If so, you can set the head to it, just like setting the replacement dies in a 12r head to a precut nipple. The only thing that might hold you up is the 13 (which I assume is threads per inch). Only one way to find out, trial and error. I've got a couple of old die heads lying around as door stops. PM me with your particulars and I'll ship you one, if you're interested.

Comment

The 816 and 817 are automatic opening with stops for sizes. The 504 is a 811 with handles and a centering chuck. The 502 is a smaller verson of the 504. They a nice because they are quick opening marvin

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, I found a unit on eBay and will try it out, thanks,

and I may redrill and use common sizes and not mess with the over sized threads, about half of the holes striped out so they would need inserts put in and If I have to redrill them and thread them may be just do all to a common size, and then use common sizes, there would be a little welding on the bottom end but that would not be so bad, I may try to make one and see how involved it would be and how well it would work, out of the 12 spokes I had one that was not bent in to a pretzel but it had broke off the end of the thread part,

the picture is when it first failed, and by the time I was able to get it down (wheel) it was only two spokes holding it on, and wraped around the head of it,
                between the flu, wind and lack of help, it took me some time to get it down, but I remaking the wheel bands, and as said considering the spokes, but not that bad for a 1930's mill

when I moved it in 2001 and put it up, I used what was lead washers to retime the spokes, and the lead let the spokes work loose and allowed them to strip out in time, the washers were a factory part for this purpose, but a bad Idea, (the reason to time the spokes is there is a clip on the spoke that attaches to the bottom band on the wheel, and on the original they were solid, and the spokes were timed when threaded so they would line up, In theory, I marked and numbered them and when reinstalling about a third of mine did not real align thus the use of the lead washers so I had some lea way (I should have twisted them), but I did not and they striped out,

but how many machines can run for 80 plus years and not fail at least once, first failure on this machine,

all kinds of weather over 80mph winds many times.

any way I need to get the head down and I will see more what I have to do,

thanks all for your willingness to share your knowledge,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BHD; 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X