Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler slotted overflow bath drain

Is anyone familiar with this product?

I'm in the process of remodeling my second bathroom and thinking about installing a Kohler Archer bathtub (it will be a tub/shower combo). It has a long overflow and Kohler does sell a drain kit to go with it.

The cheaper version comes with PVC piping and looking at the spec sheet I cannot see how the pipe is attached to the bottom drain and overflow. The main reason for this concern is that we use ABS here for drains so I cannot figure out if I can simply swap out the supplied PVC pipe with ABS.

They sell another model with comes with brass pipe but again it is not obvious to be from the data sheet how that then transitions to the rest of the drain system.

Does anyone know how to deal with this.

Product data sheets - PVC version http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1069650_4.pdf

Brass version install - http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1101729_2.pdf

What would the advantages of using brass in this situation - is it less likely to crack or be damaged that plastic for the initial run of the bath drain? Is it worth the extra money?

Re: Kohler slotted overflow bath drain

When the PVC kit gets to the connection point with the ABS, simply use combination glue.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
      When the PVC kit gets to the connection point with the ABS, simply use combination glue.

David
      Do you mean the green stuff? I could be wrong but I somehow got the impression from reading past threads that this was either not code legal or in some way was not a good solution.

Comment

As with most waste & overflow assemblies, the connection to the existing drain
        is done via a trap adapter. Doesn't matter the type of piping, the connection is
        a compression fitting. IMO, the PVC drain is best. Easier to install and will probably
        outlast the brass. I realize you're in the Golden State, so regional differences may apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
          As with most waste & overflow assemblies, the connection to the existing drain
          is done via a trap adapter. Doesn't matter the type of piping, the connection is
          a compression fitting. IMO, the PVC drain is best. Easier to install and will probably
          outlast the brass. I realize you're in the Golden State, so regional differences may apply.
          The drains for the old bathtubs in my home were made out of black ABS and hard glued into place. I did not see any sign of a compression type fitting anywhere. To remove the old drain assembly I had to saw it off. I was not aware that the compression type fitting is common for bathtubs.

One of the reasons for my question is that the drain connection in the linked data sheet looks like a glue fitting and if the drain connection and the rest of the supplied piping is PVC how do I transition to ABS without using the transition cement - unless that is an okay method as has been suggested earlier.
          Last edited by blue_can; 03-30-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

If trap adapters are common in your area, you should be able to
            get one in ABS and glue it to your existing drain above the trap.
            Usually tub drains are 1-1/2"

Comment

If this is an upper floor fixture, glued joints may be required,
              In which case you may have to transition the PVC to the ABS
              with the approved glue. Me, I would use the trap adapter.
              If installed correctly, should be no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                If this is an upper floor fixture, glued joints may be required,
                In which case you may have to transition the PVC to the ABS
                with the approved glue. Me, I would use the trap adapter.
                If installed correctly, should be no problems.
                Yes this is an upper floor. I should probably check with our local inspector if that is a code requirement.

Comment

Careful, might have to pull a permit.....

Comment

Were it my house, i'd use a shielded no-hub coupling to make a pvc-abs transition over using transition glue.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

go with the plastic waste and overflow. it's less expensive. won't rot and doesn't require an access panel.

slip joint connections do require an access panel, unless you swap out the slip joint washers with brass ferrules. and I've got hundreds of the brass ferrules. they actually don't work too good without putty as the brass doesn't bite tight enough to dig into the brass tubing.

yes, use a no hub band, either a 2'' x 1.5'' or 1.5'' x 1.5'' depending on your trap size. you'll be perfectly fine with the pvc to abs.

we'll be in sd beginning of may for the day.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        go with the plastic waste and overflow. it's less expensive. won't rot and doesn't require an access panel.

slip joint connections do require an access panel, unless you swap out the slip joint washers with brass ferrules. and I've got hundreds of the brass ferrules. they actually don't work too good without putty as the brass doesn't bite tight enough to dig into the brass tubing.

yes, use a no hub band, either a 2'' x 1.5'' or 1.5'' x 1.5'' depending on your trap size. you'll be perfectly fine with the pvc to abs.

we'll be in sd beginning of may for the day.

rick.
                        So if I understand you correctly your suggestion is to use a no-hub coupling instead of the transition cement? The alcove is on an outer wall so I cannot see how to make an access panel unless from below

Will you coming to Legoland again? Yes let's plan on meeting up if you will be in SD and with time to spare. Send me an email before your trip with the details as I don't always log in to the forum on a regular basis to check for messages.

Comment

blue_can, not transition cement but allpurpose cement. Oatey makes it, available and any supply house or big box retailer. Here is a link to what I use:

30821 Cement All Purpose 8oz 30821

David

Comment

gluing different types of plastic together is not permitted by code. from the IPC (very similar to UPC and ICC):

605.9 Prohibited joints and connections.

The following types of joints and connections shall be prohibited:

1. Cement or concrete joints.

2. Joints made with fittings not approved for the specific
                            installation.

3. Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic
                            pipe.

4. Saddle-type fittings.
                            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                            X