Hot water problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water problem.

In our converted home (two family to one) we have two water heaters. This morning, we woke up to find that there was no hot water in the first floor. In checking the respective water heater, for that floor, I saw its flames we're still burning. Could it be that this water heater has gone defective, anyway? Is it possible that there could be an issue with it, even though it's burner is firing?
    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Re: Hot water problem.

Originally posted by NLAlston View Post
    In our converted home (two family to one) we have two water heaters. This morning, we woke up to find that there was no hot water in the first floor. In checking the respective water heater, for that floor, I saw its flames we're still burning. Could it be that this water heater has gone defective, anyway? Is it possible that there could be an issue with it, even though it's burner is firing?
    Just for giggles, check the inlet valve above the heater, to make sure it's open
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

No water at all? Warm water? If the main burner is running then the problem lies elsewhere.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Dip tube may be broken. Causing a short circuit. But I agree more info is needed

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          No water at all? Warm water? If the main burner is running then the problem lies elsewhere.
          It was water that was just warm. No matter how long I'd let the water run, it would not get anywhere even near hot. It really threw me for a loop because of being able to see that the water heater's burner was firing properly. A little earlier, this afternoon, I went in the basement to raise the temp setting, a bit. I wasn't sure if it would actually make a difference, but it wouldn't cost me anything to give it a try. So I dialed in just a one-step increase on the temperature adjusting knob. About a half hour (or so) later I checked the water - and found that it was good and hot.

I wonder what the previous, temporary condition might have been due to.
          ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Some one else used it all up

Comment

Does both the hot and cold connect to the top of the hot water heater if so the cold water has a tube that sends the water to the bottom of the tank if this is broken you will have much less hot water available. The cold will come in to the tank and then out the hot side without having a chance to heat up

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY View Post
                Does both the hot and cold connect to the top of the hot water heater if so the cold water has a tube that sends the water to the bottom of the tank if this is broken you will have much less hot water available. The cold will come in to the tank and then out the hot side without having a chance to heat up
                read up on dip tube failures ! You may have a stub instead of a full length one, if so it can't pick up the hotter water at the tank bottom!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  Some one else used it all up
                  No. That wasn't the case.
                  ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    read up on dip tube failures ! You may have a stub instead of a full length one, if so it can't pick up the hotter water at the tank bottom!
                    Will do.
                    ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY View Post
                      Yes, both the hot & cold water pipes connect to the top of the tank. I will see if I can find any repair/replacement information on that (in the event that what you've described is the problem, and that it could be repaired/replaced).
                      ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        The dip tube is on the cold side. It ensures cold goes to the bottom and hot is forced to the top.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Typically when a dip tub fails, it will start to plug up the aereators and screens on your hot water fixtures.

Unless you have a really old , 20 year heater, the class action lawsuit on diptubes is long gone.

Sometimes it's a bad mixing valve fixture that is crossing over.

See if it continues to be an issue, and if affects the entire house, or just 1 side. Also check the temperature on a 2 handle faucet too. Single handle faucets sometimes will not give pure hot only.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X