Water motor gong for household use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water motor gong for household use?

I have a water powered sump pump that is used as a backup system if the submersible fails. It is an old Sears "Water Warden" model that my Dad gave me (he bought a bunch of them back in the 80s when Sears stopped selling them). I've tested it and it works fine alongside my primary pump when the latter has been unplugged.

Is there some sort of system available that can alert someone in the house that it has been activated, so that the issue with the primary pump can be addressed promptly? Right now, we'd need to be attuned to hearing rushing water, but I am not sure anyone will notice.

I recall some fire suppression systems having a water motor gong, which is a device that chimes an exterior bell if sprinkler water flow is detected. Just wondering if such a device exists for household use. It would have to be sensitive enough to be activated with water flowing through 1/2" copper and also no impede the flow rate, so I doubt a commercial variant would work. I prefer a mechanical option, if one exists.

Thanks.

Re: Water motor gong for household use?

talk to a wholesale plumbing supplier about the electronic probes for the Liberty sump jet. It's an add on alarm system that detects water level and has a piercing piezo noisemaker. i think there's also wires to trip a whole house alarm and for other uses.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Here's a link to info on one model, others are probably similar.

Here's info on one from Tyco.

There are a few sprinkies on here who should be able to help answer your question.

I notice reading the above that it says minimum of 3/4" pipe to the motor, but didn't
      see anything about minimum flow (GPM) or pressure. If you knew that you could
      make a guess on if it would work with 1/2" and whatever pressure you expect to
      generate at the elevation of the gong.

Looking at how the motor is designed I would think as long as you had a couple GPM you
      will operate the gong. It just won't clang as fast as it might with higher pressure or volume.

Suggested list prices for new are from a couple hundred to north of $500, so you'll
      want something cheaper no doubt.

You might try the phone book and see if a fire sprinkler company has an old one
      they would sell you. You might get one cheap that needs cleaning up and some TLC.
      eBay or CL are another option.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

an electronic water level sensor can be incorporated pretty easily. especially if your pump has a separate discharge line. even set in the pit at a level between the electric and water powered pump.

also ridgid has a new line of pumps and a phone dialer that will dial 3 numbesr to notify you of an issue. there is a monthly cost as it's cell phone serviced.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
          I have a water powered sump pump that is used as a backup system if the submersible fails. It is an old Sears "Water Warden" model that my Dad gave me (he bought a bunch of them back in the 80s when Sears stopped selling them). I've tested it and it works fine alongside my primary pump when the latter has been unplugged.

Is there some sort of system available that can alert someone in the house that it has been activated, so that the issue with the primary pump can be addressed promptly? Right now, we'd need to be attuned to hearing rushing water, but I am not sure anyone will notice.

I recall some fire suppression systems having a water motor gong, which is a device that chimes an exterior bell if sprinkler water flow is detected. Just wondering if such a device exists for household use. It would have to be sensitive enough to be activated with water flowing through 1/2" copper and also no impede the flow rate, so I doubt a commercial variant would work. I prefer a mechanical option, if one exists.

Thanks.
          My first thought for something reasonably priced is to recommend using a paddle type flow switch like the Watts FS10-C and mounting it in a tee on the discharge line. The paddle type flow switch could then be wired to activate a simple audible alarm, such as the ones by S. J. E. Rhombus.

Comment

Working...
          X