X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hook up a pool heater

Hi, I have a new RayPak pool heater along the same wall as the meter (<12' apart).

I want to hook it up direct from the meter and run the pipe along the foundation.

Is that doable with galvanized and how do I shut the gas off at the meter without calling the Gas Co.?
    All help is appreciated.

You aren't going to save any money doing it yourself, you would work 100 times harder and chase all over for parts. Plus it would look really tacky having pipe run along the outside foundation not to mention the possible safety issues.

Comment

Before I help get you started on this project I would like to know if you have ever worked with natural gas before and what you did with it.. Yes you can use galvanized pipe along your foundation. I agree with Bill it won't really look that great but it can be safely done.

Its very easy to shut off the gas at your meter. You need to learn how to do this in case of emergency anyway.

You will need a 12 or 14 inch crescent wrench.

On the feed side of your meter (where the gas line comes out of the ground and into the pressure reducer) there is a valve. This valve will have a brass lever to allow you to put a wrench on it to turn. The lever is not like a waterline handle but is formed to require a wrench to turn. This lever also runs parallel to the pipe when it is on and at a 90 degree angle when it is off. There will probably be two holes visible to you which allows utility purveyors to lock off a service for non payment or to prevent the meter from being activated if the purveyor has deemed your system unsafe.

To be sure your gas is off turn the lever to where these holes line up and lever sits at a 90 degree angle across the pipe..Once the holes are aligned your gas is now off. There may be residual pressure in the line and there will be residual natural gas even after the line has been opened so be careful.

Call your city hall to determine what city codes if any are applicable. Also call your gas company to determine if they have any stipulations or requirements for adding appliances to your service. You need to add up all the BTU's your homes gas appliances carry and keep that figure available when you call your gas company. Have the BTU rating of your new pool heater available also. Your utility Co. will know if your line and existing meter and regulator will carry the new load.

These are the first steps to take. Not knowing your skill level I am reluctant to help take you any farther until we correspond a little more. let us know what you find out with your city and Gas Co. Also please let us know what type of mechanical projects you have done successfully in the past. Natural Gas is not really all that hard to work with but it must be respected for what it can do if a simple mistake is made.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

If you are not an experienced plumber, I would suggest hiring one. Natural gas is relativly safe for experienced plumbers to work with, but can be dangerous for the inexperienced. If you must do it on your own, please use caution. I'm, like Plumber, afraid to give further advice without knowing your skill level.

the dog
        the dog

Comment

plumber and plumb dog thanks for the help.
          I will ck w/ the Town and Gas Co. re my 332M BTU heater load.

My DIY skill level is such that:
          1. I have hooked up Ovens, Dryers etc to existing lines and would have no issue hooking the heater up.. Its getting the line there
          2. I have run quite a few electric circuits due to my refinishing my basement.
          3. It's a short distance of 3/4" pipe...my biggest Q is the proper way to insert a T fitting. Do I unscrew one of the verticals and fit it in...

Comment

How many permits's has he pulled?
            christopher

Comment

Working...
            X