reclamed water to flush toilets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reclamed water to flush toilets

went to the doctors new office building. above the toilet there was a sign we use reclaimed water for toilets. how is this plumbed? why arn,t we all doing this in our homes? we sure waste a lot of water in this country!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Thats a good topic. Actually a couple of good topics in one short post. I am not sure if your doctors office is using reclaimed water from their waste system as I am unaware of such systems being available to the public as of now. It is possible they are using a cystern to catch rainwater run off and have it pumped seperately to their toilets and outside sillcocks. Thats something thats been done for years here.

As far as wasting water I agree there is a lot of waste. The methods for conservation and the prorities as to what gets water is sometimes a bit upside down, at least as far as I can see. We let folks dump 30,000 gallons of treated water on the ground through a sprinkler system each month to keep their grass a few shades greener then turn around and tell them they can only use 1.6 gallons of water to be sanitary after a bowel movement. Thats one thing I will never understand.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

there was a 7 yr drought, where i live in marin co. ca . ,some years back we,re about 20 miles north of the golden gate bridge. during that period the bldg. depts allowed folks to seperate their grey water from their side sewers to use on their gardens. i was new here and welding full time,i,d love to know what the exact procedure was the county approved.

any ideas?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Waste water from showers lavs and kitchen sinks are sometimes considered grey water in that they normally do not contain fecal matter. I guess if they wanted to spend the money to seperate those drains from their sanitary sewer that might have been what they were talking about. Thats never been done here as even during bad droughts we usually have plenty of water in Illinois. Limits might be put on washing cars for a day or two at the worst but we don't experience the shortages like you guys do.

We also never use the term side sewers, I am assuming you refer to the main sanitary sewer from the building. Would this be a correct assumption?

Can I ask what type of welding you do,or did? I arc weld brackets, hangers and simple things like that but never pressure pipe or anything that requires x rays for certification. Its an art form to be respected.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

TOOL, NOT SURE IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO CATALINA ISLAND. IT'S APPROX. 26 MILES FROM LOS ANGELES OR LONG BEACH. THERE THEY USE SALTWATER FOR THE TOILETS. IN FACT THE NEWEST DEVELOPMENT HAD TO COME UP WITH THEIR OWN WATER SOURCE. THEY BUILT A DESALINATION PLANT. LOTS OF POWER TO RUN. LAST I READ, EDISON POWER TOOK IT OVER.
          I'M GOING THERE NEXT WEEK FOR A FEW DAYS. I'LL GET MORE INFO.

I DO A LOT OF WORK AT A GOLF COURSE. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN WATER WELLS AND A HUGH STORAGE TANK. THE WELLS ARE OVER 500' DEEP AND THE STORAGE TANK IS 25' TALL X 30' IN DIAMETER. THIS IS USED TO WATER THE ENTIRE GOLF COURSE. 3 LARGE 25HP. PUMPS ARE FED FROM THIS TANK TO POWER THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM. A 4'' CITY LINE IS ALSO USED WHEN THE TANK GOES TOO LOW.
          IT SOUNDS LIKE THE DOCTORS OFFICES ARE OF NEWER CONSTRUCTION. THE NON POTABLE WATER SHOULD BE BRIGHTLY MARKED IN PURPLE. THIS IS TO PREVENT A MISTAKE FOR SOMEONE CROSSING A POTABLE AND NON POTABLE SYSTEM.

NEXT TIME YOU'RE THERE, CHECK WITH THE BUILDING ENGINEER AND PICK HIS BRAIN. IT SOUNDS INTERESTING.

RICK.

Comment

i,m refering to laterals. i,m guessing side sewers their what we called them in mass. i was a union pile buck with certs in wire feed and stick. we weld same size iron going down as the iron workers do going up 3' I beams with 1 1/2" thick flanges is not uncommen most of our work is u.td. [ultrasonic tested] by inspestors. i have a lincoln portable with ln-22 wire feed, thansformer welder millermatic 210 mig. what,s fun is i work with my son BRIAN 34 and he welds along with the old man 62
            we even get along. be well tool

Comment

hi Rick, never been to C. I I Iike the salt water use.
              the drought here was serious, and the county issued permits to plum for grey water, to garden only ,i believe.

it,s a small new building, no engineer. in 12 days i will be back and ask dr. had big slice of meat cut out of my arm. skin cancer, use sun block guys! next life i wan,t to be Italian, nice brown eyes and skin! the blue eyed ,thin skinned old Irishman. ps i,m fine by the way

Comment

TOOL, AS A WELDER, DO YOU THINK THAT TOO MANY ARC RAYS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?
                I DON'T WELD EVERYDAY, BUT I DON'T WEAR LEATHERS EITHER. I'VE BEEN MARRIED 16 MONTHS AND THE GOLD RING HAS BEEN HIT WITH SLAG 2 TIMES. IT SINKS IN AND I HAVE TO GRIND IT TO REMOVE THE IRON. IT TOOK A LITTLE GETTING USED TO WITH TOOLS IN THE HAND AND A RING TO CATCH ON.
                DON'T TELL MY WIFE. SHE WILL MAKE ME WEAR GLOVES AND LEATHERS. I DO WEAR AN AUTO DARK HELMENT. I LOVE IT.

GET BETTER SOON. I AM STILL WAITING FOR THAT STEAK DINNER. YOUR "MEAT" DOESN'T COUNT.

INTERESTING THAT A SMALL OFFICE REQUIRED A SYSTEM THAT YOU DESCRIBED. WONDER IF IT'S A NEW CITY REQUIREMENT. DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE DR. IS GOING TO SAVE ANY MONEY. IT MIGHT BE MORE COSTLY THAN THE SAVINGS.
                FILL US IN ON THIS AND YOUR RECOVERY.

RICK.

Comment

thank,s Rick. the years of full time cram and jam welding was always leathers and gloves. it,s fun in the sun when it,s 90 out. Rick, always wear gloves ! on weld talk that,s the beef with these bike shows, there always tacking stuff with no gloves or shield! and now a young generation of kids is doing the same! skin cancer is too much sun over the years. thank god it,s not melonima. next trip to remove stiches, i,ll get info on system. the supply house crowd will also know who plumbed it and any local requirements, if any. 3 lady dermatoligests own the building, big $$$$$

Comment

Working...
                  X